U

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Monday, July 18th, 2022 6:49 PM

Closed

Suspicious Activity

So, last night my norton antivirus showed an suspicious activity on my wifo network and my android mobile s9 also showed an suspicious activity on my wifi and all devices got disconnected from wifi. But my xfinity advance security showed nothing about an suspicious activity. Every other device that was connected to the wifi showed nothing about suspicious activity, just my laptops norton security and my s9 showed an activity. Is it just an false alram or something wrong with my wifi? I tried contacting xfinity agent to talk about this issue but that automated bot didn't connect the call to an agent. What should I do now, is it just a false alarm or is there really an suspicious activity going on?

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

It would help if you could provide more information about the 'suspicious activity'; what exactly was happening, and what was the verbiage of the message(s) you received?  It might have been as innocuous as your phone doing a system update, or perhaps it was backing up contents of the device, and because of the sudden spike in traffic it triggered an alert.  It is also possible that you do have malware on your phone (The google Play store is full of malicious apps).  Norton is among the very best security available, and will pick up on things that other less sophisticated security apps will miss.  xfinity used to offer Norton, but then decided it was 'too expensive'; what they offer now as 'security' is a pale shadow of what they offered when they had Norton. 

Please provide more details. 

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ Thank you looking into this matter. So, i recieved this suspicious detection 2 times. 1st time i was using my home wifi and 2nd time i was using my mobile hotsport(s21 ultra). My s21 ultra is the one that is shown in both cases as SSID. Im going to attach both pictures of detection. I scanned my s21 ultra with bitdefender, avast but nothing risky came up. The details in the picture is all the details i have for this issue. I also received an notification on my s9 about suspicious network..as my detect suspicious networks are on. After the 1st detection my whole wifi turned down and came on after sometime. No other device received this suspicious message expect my laptop's norton security and my s9 detection system. There is also nothing in my xfinity advanced security tab. Have a look at pictures.

Thank you once again.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Strange.  There was a couple photos with this post, but the bot ate them.  Not sure what the issue was, they were edited for content by the user.

When it was there, it appears it was just complaining about "Weak WiFi Password".  That usually means you are using a wifi password all in upper or all lower case, no numbers or special characters or dictionary word based password.

If you do that, some utilities/virus programs will nag you about it and it's bad practice in general.  Doesn't mean there's really anything specifically wrong.  But still, change your WiFi password, make it harder to crack.  Use upper/lower case.  Toss some numbers in there.  Maybe a special character somewhere in the middle. 

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@flatlander3​ thank you bro. So I also scanned my wifi too with avast using my s21 ultra but nothung suspicious came up. Maybe its just about password.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@flatlander3​ pictures are public now you can have a look at it.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

Your response has bee removed;; I assume there was some type of personal information in the screen shots you provided.  I didn't have a chance to look closely at them before they were taken down, but they indicated that your network credentials were weak.  The 'error' you see may also be due to having tethering enabled on your phone; When you are not using it, tethering should always be disabled.  I would first try turning off tethering on your phone, and then changing your network credentials to something that is unpronounceable.  Suggest you use a password manager; you only have to remember one password, and it will handle all login tasks for you, including generating secure passwords.  There are many out there; I use LastPass, which in my humble opinion is best, but look around and see if you can find one that you like. 

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ idk why my pictures got removed. But Im using that password from beginning since I got xfinity wifi. This never happened. This was the first time. All the antivirus, wifi security showed nothing about it. Will changing password work?

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ picture are now available to look. Have a look at it.

Expert

• 

106.1K Messages

2 years ago

All.

First-time poster pictures are automatically made "Private" by the forum platform. They must be reviewed and approved by a Moderator or an Administrator. The post has now been made publically viewable.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

Changing your password will not hurt, other than you have to login in with the new credentials on all of your devices.  I think that the message is related to your phone being in tethering mode, and it could mean that you have a weak password on that network.  If I were you, I would disable tethering when not in use, and change passwords on both.  If your phone is/was not in tethering mode, then I am uncertain of the source.  Norton says that no action is required.  As an experiment, would you be willing to turn your phone off completely and see if the message goes away?  It is possible that you have malware on your phone; some types of malware can cause your phone to enable tethering as a means of tracking and connecting to your phone without your knowledge. If the message disappears when you turn off your phone, then you will know the issue is with the phone.  If that is the case, you have a couple of options; scan your phone with a good antivirus program (Norton has an app that is included with many of their security suites).  I would make sure that tethering is turned off, and would check the phone several times a day to see if it re-enables it; that would be indicative of either malware or a legitimate app doing that, and you will have to figure out what causes it if that happens. The last option, the one that I would use, is to do a complete backup to your computer, to include both internal storage and the microSD card if one is installed. Once the backup is done, scan the folder with the antivirus on your computer.  Then do a hard reset on the phone...a complete factory reset.  Do not restore form the online backup if you have that enabled; back up from the image that you stored on your computer.  If ll goes well, delete all remote backups stored on your cell phone provider's servers, then do a fresh backup to the cloud. 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ my phone was not using any hotspot. It was completely turned off and it never turned back on on its own.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ So i completely turned off my phone and that history didn't go away. Nothing coming up on antivirus scans on Any of my devices and wifi. Nothing wrong has gone yet. So I this is just an false alarm. Is there anything else I can do? I changed my password. And what are some reason can be to trigger this alarm?

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

Without more to go on, I cannot make a guess as to what triggered it.  If you no longer see new warnings, then I would not worry about it.  If it does occur again, you can open Task Manager and go to the Performance tab as see what the processor and the internet tabs are doing.  If you see a lot of activity and you are not doing anything (i.e. not on the web, not streaming, etc), then I would start to get very concerned.  This event could have just been an anomaly.  Keep an eye on things, and if you get new warnings, please post back. 

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ Thank you. I do not have any other warning except these two. I changed my wifi password name and hide my wifi from everyone. No more warning means im safe? And what does no action required mean in norton?

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

You should be safe.  The notice means that Norton protected your network, then alerted you to the problem it found.  If Norton had needed you to do something on your end, it would have told you what steps to take.  

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ thank you bro. I will give an update if that happen again. Nothing suspicious happned after that.

THANK YOU 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Easy to test.  Change your WiFi password back to what it was before, then see if Norton nags you about "Weak Password" again.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@flatlander3​ Yea I did try it and nothing happened. 

THANK YOU 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_4fc80a​ That nag could just be marketing too.  I don't know when the scan runs.  Maybe you can force a network scan with Norton and you'll get it.

Avast seems to be on a timer where it will throw various nags trying to get you to upgrade/pay for various services.  The ole "Junk on your computer", and "OMG, your IP is public.....Pay for our VPN or use our Browser so we can glean your DNS lookups and sell them".....

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

Update⚠️

@flatlander3 , @NoNoBadPuppy 

So here's the update. I just ran into that error again. My wifi got disconnected for suspicious activity as seen in picture 1 And 2nd picture is for my mobile hotsport and 3rd picture is detailed view of my hotspot. I did run an antivirus scan right away when I got disconnected from wifi and connected my Hotspot. I don't why it happened again. Nothing comes up on antivirus bitdefender, avast, Norton security. Everything was virus free in scans. Is there anything I can do now?

Thank you.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

It is really hard to say what is causing the notification, other than there appears to be an unsecured wifi connection on your phone. If it were me at this point, I would do a factory rest of the phone and not restore it from a backup.  By that I mean that you should back up all the data on you phone, factory reset it, and then treat it as a brand new phone and install everything manually; do not use a backup to restore from in case there is malware that is causing it.  I would keep careful notes about each step; if you do the above and the notification returns, perhaps you could arrange for an RMA and get a replacement phone.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy​ So i feel like it was because of weak password of my hotspot. I changed my hotspot password and that alert didn't came back. I will wait a week to see it that alert pop up again. If it didn't popup again, then i will its just because of an weak password. Because I scanned my device with many antivirus and everytime it says no threat found.  So ima wait for a week to see how it goes after password change. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here