D

Wednesday, July 10th, 2024 1:05 AM

super slow internt speed / modem has DS blinking light

I have the 1 Gigabit plan, and my speed was great but recently in the past couple days I notice that my speed was super slow and when I do speed test, I get as low as 6 Mbps and up to 140 Mbps through out the day. both via wifi and Ethernet connection to my PC.

I also notice that my modem has the downstream light blinking, used to be solid all the time. but now is just blinking.

I only have internet service nothing else. modem is connected straight to cable that comes outside. so no splitter.

my modem is a Netgear CM700, here is a photo my downstream channel info.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

Get a tech out to investigate. Your modem is only locking in 24 of a potential 32 downstream channels. And many of them have SNR values that are too low / out of spec. And there are many uncorrected bit errors. Noise ingress causes these symptoms. There is noise leaking into the line(s) somewhere. Good luck !

3 Messages

@EG​ 

Hi, yes I notice that I was not getting all 32 channels locked and power signal is out of range.

I did when outside to inspect the cable but everything looks good, I saw that there is a filter connector that is outside that connects the cable from the alley and the cable that goes to my house. You think it could be an issue with it? Or maybe is the cable that goes out to the alley(service polo).

P.S I did contact support and explain the problems I was having with the slow internet and signal issues and they ran a diagnostics to my modem and they said there is some kind of issue with the signal but was blaming my modem because “supposedly” is old and wasn’t get the correct signal and I have to get a new one. And there is no issue on the end. But I don’t believe him I did a little research. 

am going to call again and request a service technician to come out and check they line.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

It's a line / signal impairment. Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it up to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. And if the problem is found to be on their side of the demarcation point, there will not be any charge.

Good luck !

3 Messages

@EG​ 

thanks for you help. Am requesting a service tech to come out and check their cable line. Hopefully they can find the issue.

one more thing, so my modem age has nothing to do with having this issue, right? I don’t want to buy a new one and still have the same issue.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

doejohn Thank you so much for your post for help with your connection issues. It looks like our Expert @EG Got you pointed in the right direction. I also agree we need a technician to come take a look based on the information you shared. If you havent gottent help with an appointment already please let us know so we can get you one set up as soon as posible. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

99% it's not the modem.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here