pbGuy's profile

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, June 10th, 2021 6:57 PM

Closed

Successful XB7 Gateway Use

I would like to hear from users successfully using Xfinity's XB7 CGM4331COM (Technicolor) modem Gateway.

My current, internet & hardware:

Xfinity 1GB internet service, which now supports up to 1.2GB, through XB6 (Technicolor), provisioning my LAN & WiFi and reliably getting 900+ Mbps downloads (at the XB6) on my ethernet LAN; reliably using 2.4 & 5 GHz WiFi. {I do not speed-test my WiFi, but all WiFi devices show full strength as I move around my 1300sf 2-floor condo.}

Network provisions  devices: iMac i7 27 (macOS 11.4) on ethernet LAN (& secondarily, 2.4 WiFi for Maps & FindMy); TV 4K (1st gen.) connected to LAN (but does use 2.4WiFi for AirPlay), as well as HDMI connected to an audio-video Receiver & 4K Widescreen; with exception of an iPadPro (3d gen.) being on 5GHz WiFi, all other WiFi devices on 2.4WiFi.

Considering making these hardware changes:

XB7 Gateway, connecting a TP-Link Multi-GB 8-port (Port 8 is a WAN) Switch (no router function) for adding LAN devices. Device connections will stay as detailed above (Network SSIDs & passwords remaining same for easy migration). ...Also, considering upgrading Ethernet Cables (currently, Cat6) to Cat8; but, no issues with current, Cat6 cables.

I do use Xfinity's iOS Xfinity app (v3.34.0) and find it a bit more robust for certain setting views or changes, as compared to direct browser login (@ 10.0.0.1); although some modem changes (such as passwords, particularly when I change the default, Gateway password) more easily done using browser access.

My XB6 does not implement: port forwarding, custom DNS servers, DMZ, hotspot, tile devices. (XB7 would remain same.)

Given my objective(s), what are particular settings on your XB7 you feel achieved a stable & optimal setup? (If you transitioned from an XB6, did you simply setup the XB7 with same settings?)

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but I've read the XB6 has 8 WiFi antennas and the XB7 has 4. ...Any thoughts about the difference and impact?

Did your setup necessitate completing a subsequent, firmware update?

Thank you, and I look forward to reading replies. 

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

4 days later since my initial post & no replies so far.   Hmmm...

Given the number of Threads about XB7 issues, I am mindful some XB7 experiences have not been good. ...If there are intrinsic issues with the XB7, or install errors causing poor performance results, I welcome specific comment from Comcast, detailing what's being done (better setup instructions, details about peripheral hardware compatibilities, firmware updates, etc.) to reverse negative perception about the XB7.

Anyway, I remain hopeful about hearing details from a happy, XB7 user.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

Here are my observations on the Xb7, i originally had a Xb6, my Xb6 functioned flawlessly. never a disconnect or issues of any kind, i achieved better then the advertised speed, my Xb6 i was able to adjust settings in the admin panel, so after a lot of experimenting, i was able to dial in optimum performance for my environment , so i get a Xb7, so set it up using the xfi app, during the setup i was specifically asked if i wanted to transfer my Xb6 to my new Xb7, i agreed, the install went exceptionally smooth, when the install was completed, all my devices connected to the Xb7 just as they did with the Xb6, all my custom setting were intact, one thing i did notice was the ability to change settings in the admin panel as they were grayed out, since i had originally dialed in the optimum settings it wasn't a issue for me, that being said, i had to exchange that Xb7, this time i went to the Xfinity Store to pick it up, so i had read on these forums to have them activate the Xb7 at the store, they scanned the bar code and said there you go, anyway i go home and hooked it up, it reboots and i was online, i didn't have to do anything except hook it up, so i didn't have my original settings, but i had access to the settings in the admin panel, so if that is imperative to have to have them, take note, my Xb7 performs flawlessly also,  I get 1400 Mbps - 1500 Mbps, religiously, again no disconnects or issues of any kind,  so you need a network card that can obtain speeds over 1000 Mbps, so i purchased a usb 2.5 gig ethernet card, i chose the usb kind because i wanted to try it on my laptop and desktop, first i hook it up to my computer that runs Linux blazing fast speeds, no issues what so ever, then i try it on my laptop that runs win 10, so the speeds were 1/3 of what i was getting on my Linux computer, it obviously wasn't the  Xb7 or my internet connection, so after some research i ended up on my usb cards website, they specifically say if you are using the drivers that Microsoft installs, Plug and Play,  no way will you achieve the correct speeds, they also say that driver doesn't unlock all the functions of my usb card, i installed the driver they recommended, speeds were better but not great, so i booted the laptop up with a Linux live flash drive, this way i bypass the Windows operating system altogether, same hardware, i do a speed test, amazingly i was getting the the correct speed, so it was obviously a flaw in my Windows operating system, i have since fixed the issue and all is well, so my point is, the Xb7 delivers all that it is supposed and more, if you aren't happy with your speeds i might look elsewhere for a solution, anyway i am extremely happy with my Xb7, also i never have to reboot it,  just my personal observation  

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

@jlavaseur  Thank you for your reply and the details. Although I've not yet done anything yet about changing out my XB6, I'm encouraged by reading your Post.

Exchanging to the 2d XB7... Was it specifically due to the greyed-out "admin panel" using the xFi mobile {android} app? ...Or was it the same when viewing the Gateway settings accessed by web-browser admin-direct login @10.0.01?

{It's my understanding the xFi mobile app, although fairly robust, doesn't permit certain edits, which have to be done by direct login to the XB7. ...Correct me, if I'm wrong about that bit.}

...Any observations about your XB7's signal strength & getting optimal WiFi coverage (as with the XB6)?

Anyway, you're up & running now with great speeds, which is what I would like after upgrading some hardware for multi-Gig speed & migrating to the XB7. (I'm still on the fence about it.)

Thank you again, and if you have a moment to address my follow-up questions, I'll be grateful.

Cheers.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

ok, I exchanged the first Xb7 because I thought  it was malfunctioning, but it was actually user error on my part, well when i logged into 10.0.0.1 it was grayed out, but on the 2nd it wasn’t grayed accessing it with 10.0.0.1,I didn’t exchange it because of that,  as far as coverage, I live in a townhouse, it’s not very big and I experienced no problems, as with WiFi, the father you get from the gateway, the slower your speeds will be, one thing I forgot to mention is that the Xb7 comes with both WiFi bands combined, 2.4 and 5 g, some folks devices have some issues with that, I personally split mine, that being said, I think some Xfi things won’t work if you do that, @eg would be the one to ask, he is a wealth of knowledge on that subject, I personally don’t use the Xfi app etc, so I have limited knowledge

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

@jlavaseur 

Your mention about WiFi bands being combined is important to know.

I prefer having separate WiFi 2.4 & 5 GHz networks, as I dedicate my iPad to the 5GHz for speed. My network smart-plugs currently run nicely on my 2.4WiFi; so, I assume they will do the same on a separated 2.4 on the XB7. ...I'll have to research how to complete the separation, but it sounds pretty straightforward when following the instructions.

Again, thank you for your insights, as they've been very helpful.

(edited)

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

I just read a post about network separation and that it's simply naming them separately. ...As I've already done it on my XB6, the transition should migrate with the same.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@pbGuy 

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can separate the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

@EG 

Thank you for the link. I've now bookmarked it.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

Quite welcome !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Sorry if this interrupts the flow of the conversation, but do any of you know how to  use a Xfinity Gateway as a modem only? I am installing a separate router/Wi-Fi hub and PoE switch to power a number of wired access points. So all I need is the modem function. 

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

@brossbach70.3 

I can answer your question, but it does have a caveat.

The answer is to put the Gateway into Bridge Mode (turns WiFi Off), which puts all the router, WiFi tasks over to your connected router.

Caveat: Maybe not applicable to your situation... I run a MoCA network, which runs my LAN over my coaxial cables in my condo. When I put my XB6 into Bridge Mode, I found it wasn't performing up to par. When I turned Bridge Mode Off, the XB6 performance, as well as my separate router/switch, all ran well.

(edited)

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

>I would like to hear from users successfully using Xfinity's XB7 CGM4331COM (Technicolor) modem Gateway.

I guess i'm in the vast minority, judging from most of the posts regarding this gateway. It's been a really smooth ride here.

First, a bit about the environment i'm using it in - my entire house is wired for Gb Ethernet via cat6e, so my XB7 is basically acting as a traditional router providing standard things like DHCP, Firewall...ect... I only use the WiFi radios for things that can't have an Ethernet adapter, everything else is switched. I have some pretty bog standard Ubiquiti access points installed (which are also part of the hard-wired network). The only devices using Wifi are things like thermostats, phones, laptops and tablets.

I was originally going to just put the thing in bridge mode and use my existing routing gear, but, I was curious as to it's real capabilities after all of the marketing hype. So, as an access point, it's really quite good - even better than my Ubiquiti AP's, which I actually had to lower the power output of because the XB7 was stomping them a bit. As far as line speed, i'm getting (on average, sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower, but never really a practical issue) what I was sold. Latency is good, it's not fiber good, but it's totally acceptable.

Reading through these complaints, I see that many of them are related to WiFi coverage and speed - which goes to show there's no one magic device that will provide perfect WiFi in all environments. I mean, I work in IT (network operations and security) and i'm scratching my head wondering what someone needs a 100 Mbit WiFi connection to their phone for. Also, Wifi just by it's inherent limitations, no matter what tricks or gimmicks are layered on top, is only half Duplex, it cannot send and receive data at the same time, like Ethernet can. 

Add all of this into a very congested spectrum in most places (because people are trying to use WiFi for everything), and it's no surprise when things can't negotiate the highest possible speed. Field techs tend to be pretty knowledgeable, but, it's a big ask for them to diagnose and fix all of the many, many ways WiFi can be sub-optimal. 

In the end, just out of necessity; needing a deeper feature set, i'll probably end up putting it into bridge and trucking on from there. Though for an 'all in one' solution, the XB7 is very, very good, and clearly has some antenna/radio voodoo baked into it. I'm kind of surprised that more people aren't taking advantage of the built in MoCA interface, considering most homes here in the US have coaxial all over the place. I've installed those as stand alone units, and they do work where Ethernet is not a viable option and this is a huge value-add since the stand alone units are pretty expensive.

Just a different perspective, I guess. Clearly a big case of YMMV wildly depending on the environment your XB7 is provisioned in.

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

@HalfDuplex 

Thank you for your comments, which are reassuring about the XB7 and informative regarding facets of WiFi. Given your IT experience, your points have weight.

I would like to followup about the mentioned "MoCA interface" of the XB7, as I want to insure I correctly understand your reference.

I have been using (2) Actiontec ECB6200 1GB MoCA adapters to create a MoCA data loop, which makes internet data (through coax cable outlets) available (for ethernet cable connections) where Actiontec MoCA adapters are located and creates an MoCA ethernet LAN. {I only have 1 TV HD smart box, and there's a POE filter connection involved between the coax cables connecting the wall outlet to that TV's HD smart box.} ...I've been running this MoCA LAN setup for several years and the internet data flow has been rock solid (without negatively impacting too badly, internet download speeds at the 2d MoCA adapter, which provides LAN internet in my 2d floor office) and has never caused an issue to the HD TV flow where the 2d floor, TV smart box is also located. The point... use of 3d party, MoCA adapters was the only way to create such a LAN over the coax system when an XB6 Gateway is providing TV services / internet data connectivity.

Now regarding the XB7 ("...built in MoCA interface..."), are you saying the XB7 can do the same, as just described, without need for 3d party, MoCA adapters?

Thank you, and I look forward to discussing further.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

>Now regarding the XB7 ("...built in MoCA interface..."), are you saying the XB7 can do the same, as just described, without need for 3d party, MoCA adapters?

The (Technicolor) XB7 specs say that it's MoCA 2.0 compliant. I, on my personal network, don't have any MoCA gear running. However, as you know, it takes Two MoCA adapters to make any MoCA connection work. You *should* be able to get away with only using One (downstream of the XB7) additional adapter, like goCoax or Actiontec ect. if the XB7 is a compliant device.

I think that the main purpose of the XB7 having this feature is to give field techs an extra tool to get a solid connection into places WiFi isn't practical for whatever reason. Like set-top streamers provided by Comcast that also have MoCA functionality. 

I'd love to mess around with it sometime to see what can really be done. I wouldn't count on Comcast to be able to give any kind of technical support on this though, especially using 3rd party hardware.

(edited)

Not applicable

• 

13 Messages

@HalfDuplex 

Thanks for your followup... And based upon it, it seems the XB7 will most likely need MoCA adapters (same as the XB6 requires) when creating an network LAN between coax outlets. ...And that's Ok, as I know such a MoCA LAN works reliably & effectively, when one is willing to forego feature characteristics smart hubs can provide (for TVs connected by smart hubs at coax outlets). ...It's a matter of TV (and remote) feature trade-offs. And, having a MoCA LAN is more important for my needs.

I now sense the XB7 (with multi-GB download capability) can fulfill expectations when upgrading from an XB6 (and XB7 properly setup). ....So, for me, it's currently about deciding if the commensurate hardware upgrades (mentioned in my initial Post) are worth the expense in order to insure achieving several, additional GB's of download (LAN) speed (when I's already satisfied with my current setup). ...Hmmmm (thinking, thinking)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

alguien a tenido problemas de velocidad ya que tengo el xb 7 y Esteves leo tengo para 1200gb y no alcanza los 700gb 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

@user_0ea0cc

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.  6 month old dead thread now being closed. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here