oceans3101's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, October 28th, 2021 12:56 PM

Closed

Splitter problem

Tv and internet went out yesterday.  Your advanced tch support grp determined that the problem was with my splitter.  In, out and tap type.  She had me remove splitter and go direct to modem, which worked.  Still no tv.

I have now reconnected the splitter with in from wall, out to modem and tap to tv box.  All working.  I am not sure how the splitter was wired before.  Does it make a difference with which outlet to use to modem?  This has been an intermittent problem which occurs and usually corrects itself overnight. 

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

3 years ago

If it's a two-way splitter it doesn't matter which port that you use. They both have equal amounts of loss.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

It has in, out and tap.  I have out connected to modem, and tap connected to tv box and it works.  Are out and tap specific for ??.

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

Hi there @oceans3101! Splitters do need to be changed often since they do not have a long life span as they weaken signal as indicated earlier. Have you been able to replace it with a new one to see if this helps your issue? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

3 years ago

@oceans3101 wrote: "It has in, out and tap.  I have out connected to modem, and tap connected to tv box and it works.  Are out and tap specific for ??."

Yeah, that is known as a coax cable *tap* (directional coupler), not a splitter. It's typically best to connect a cable modem to "Out" port as it has less loss than the "Tap" port.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@EG      Thanks for your reply.  I was told by Comcast Advanced Tech Support that I should replace my splitter because I was having a problem with loss of internet which would usually return overnight.  The directional coupler that I was using was provided by comcast.  Tech had me bypass the coupler and go direct from wall outlet to modem which restored by internet but no Tv.  I then replaced the cable from wall to coupler in with a much shorter cable and ran out to modem and tap to cable tv box and it has been working for 2 days.  Tech did not mention a directional coupler, they said to remove splitter and when that worked that I should replace it.  From your response is using a directional coupler the proper choice.

Thanks again for your help.

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

@oceans3101

Every environment is different. Which one to use depends on how weak/strong the incoming signal is in the first place. Use whichever one that works the best.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here