iab's profile

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, January 8th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Splitter issues

I recently started having issues using a splitter - it worked fine before - and can't quite figure out what is happening.  I even picked up the equipment that Xfinity provides, but I'm back to the same issue.  The signal is strong enough when only the TV set box OR the modem/router is hooked up.  They both work fine when individually hooked directly to the cable wall outlet too.  When I use a splitter though - even the one that Xfinity provides - only my TV will work; I cannot get internet service.  I have worked with an Xfinity rep AND a Motorola rep (since we own our modem/router), and all equipment checks out operational.  I thought maybe using the cable and splitter that Xfnity provides would take care of the matter, but nothing has changed.  What could be next steps, please?  It's odd that a splitter has worked before and now no longer does.  (I know there's nothing wrong with the signal being provided by Xfinity, so I really don't want to pay for a rep to come out here.)  Thanks. 

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

5 years ago

What do the modem's signal stats look like with the splitter in place ?  Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

On the downstream power level, there are 16 channels.  The power levels range from -1.8 to 1.  The SNR numbers are from 35.9 to 37.  On the upstream power level, there are 3 channels (1 is unlocked).  The power levels range from 47 to 47.3.

I did take the modem and plug it directly into the wall - instead of a power strip with multiple plugs - and this is the first time I'm getting this many channels listed (while the TV is hooked up  to the splitter and turned on) .  I do have internet access now, but it is still slower than normal.  I also tried a different cord from the modem/router to the splitter.

Thoughts?  (Thanks!)

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

5 years ago

The upstream power is in spec but it is approaching the upper limit. And it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, and latency problems.

See if anything below applies;

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct. Good luck !

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the input.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Just so you know, we had been using a Rocketfish splitter but not any longer.  What's connected now is the one Xfinity provides.    I'm only using one coaxial cable - provided by Xfinity - that connects the splitter to the cable outlet on the wall.  The TV and modem/router have indiviual cables, but since the connections is still slow, I'm thinking of trying all new cables for the equipment (besides the one provided by Xfinity).  Do you think that, along with perhaps a signal booster, could help continue to troubleshoot - and maybe even rectify - the issue?  Thanks again.

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

5 years ago

The signal stat figures / downtream power levels do not show the need for an amp. It may be best in this case to get a tech out to determine what is needed. Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home.

Expert

• 

106.4K Messages

5 years ago

Quite welcome. ! Please post back with how things turn out.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Ok; thanks much.  That may be the route to go.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here