Chumpitaz's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, January 1st, 2024 4:24 PM

Closed

Speed test

There is discrepancy when testing speeds. Using xfinity test or Oakla I get 30-35 maps consistently.

Using Mlab I get 190-200 mbs which is supossibly what I am paying for.

Verizon gives me the same as Mlab, and if use fast.com I get 80-90 mbps.

A 10 to 15 percent is perhaps expected but 6 times lower using your test is wrong.

Specially since I am supoose to get 200 mbps as the MLab correctly gets.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

9 months ago

Hello @Chumpitaz. Each speed test site will calculate internet speeds based off of their own algorithms. Another factor is congestion on your network and if you are using Wi-Fi or are hardwired. One more factor is what Wi-Fi band you are on (2.4,5) as they will each yield different speed results.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 months ago

Hello,

First, it is true that every test uses a different algorithm However there is basically very few tests out there. The majority fall as:

• OOKLA, which is one of the oldest ones and it is use by a lot of providers. Do not know if Xfinity uses them or not.
  • M-LAB, used by quiet  few including Google.
  • Some others like for example Cloudfare, etc.

The point here is that a variance of 10-20 % could be understood not 100%.

Second, there is no congestion on my network. This is the usual argument stated. My network has Gigabit speed on all its servers. I have tested this using some tools and they are consistent.

Third, I am using hardwired connections to your modem when testing.

You use MTU 1500 for IPv4 and 1452 for IPv6, this is causing an issue and more tests on my part may give make a clue where.

However, If I use for example on my test, servers hosted by WhiteSky in ATL  I get also full 200 Mbps, this compares to what I get with M-LAB.

Everything being equal, this points to that Xfinity is misconfigured in the area I am (Chicago) and as I said more testing may give me a clue but it may be difficult.

You may be giving priority to Streaming for example that is one possibility.

Have a good day.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thanks for that feedback and insight, @Chumpitaz! I can tell your savvy which always helps when we're working on something from two different sides, and I appreciate you taking the time to provide those details. We're happy to help with any service concerns you may have! To clarify, is your service currently affected by this (i.e. slow connectivity or an intermittent connection)?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 months ago

Hello there.

I did fix the issue. I am getting speeds of around 200 mbps regardless of the test used.

To make a long story short. Decided to upgrade the router I was using, this included adding dedicated nics instead of using usb ethernet adapters.

The usb adapters seemed to be unreliable.

After the upgrades mentioned, tests using different apps are getting the same consistent results and in the consistent my speed subscription.

Have a good day.

Official Employee

• 

763 Messages

@Chumpitaz Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here