Voxx's profile

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

Saturday, May 28th, 2022 12:18 AM

Closed

Speed Test

xfinity says use their speed test but it's all over the place. Like why would you test speed from puma Arizona to New Mexico? It's not accurate I don't think.  If my pc is pinging off Arizona or whatever then maybe something needs fixing. Maybe once again xfinity can't handle the traffic from so many  working at home who knows. I would think that the speed test would  chose the closest location. I mean 41 for ms is pretty bad it should be lower. 

off topic for some reason forums is not letting me scroll I have to drop bottom of my browser just to get the enter or submit

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

2 years ago

Your assigned public IP address probably has incorrect rDNS / geolocation information that is associated with it.

Have you tried to manually choose the server that is physically the closest to your actual location ?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

2 years ago

If you have a Windows computer, use the Speedtest app from the Windows store. Using browsers for speed tests is not always accurate. You can manually select a server if needed. Closest is not always the lowest ping time, especially if it is outside the Comcast network. I have sometimes found that the upstream test for Comcast servers with Speedtest are often slow or do not work at all, but other sites work fine.

Official Employee

• 

695 Messages

2 years ago

Hello, did you still need assistance?

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

2 years ago

I understand. @xfinityXavier  Not really  I am just trying to figure out  why I am getting inconstant reading from speed test. I  think personally I need new coax cables .  As I think the one I am using is about 18 or 19 yrs old  .It's been with us since 2007 >.>

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Thank you for sharing that information. Have you tested the speeds by manually changing the services as previously advised? An older cable could definitely be the issue, you can always pick up a new cable at any Xfinity Service Center. Are your speeds slower each time or do they range from within specs?

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

2 years ago

So I needed  to  know  about the speed test because I wanted to test  something .

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I just replaced the black Xfinity modem I've been using for the last few years with the white modem Xfinity just sent me, based on the belief that I was going to get much better download and upload speeds. However, when I just ran the speed test I found online, I was shocked to learn that my download speed was 4.64 Mbps and my upload speed was 6.12 Mbs. Although I don't recall exactly what my speeds were with the previous modem, if I'm not mistaken they were very similar to, if not better, than the are now.

Can anybody tell me if these speeds are as bad as the test suggested they were, and if there's anything I can do about it. I'm using an older IBM T61 Thinkpad with a Celeron chip and Windows 7, mainly as a word processor, and I don't use it to play games or do CPU intensive tasks.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @Sk8dancer I hope you are doing well. To read those speeds initially I think there's an issue here, but after researching the thinkpad, it may be due to the devices limitations. Based on an example I was able to find online the thinkpad had a wifi adapter compatible with 802.11 a/g/n and they had speeds between 18 an 19 Mbps. This seems to be a bit higher than your experience, but there are other variables that may be involved. Are you able to check the network adapter / wifi hardware on your thinkpad to see what compatibility your device has? 

To check what speeds you have for your services you can easily find those details in the My account app. Once you sign in, select internet and it will show your download speed. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

@Sk8dancer​ 

Your old devices and Windows 7 are your problem.

You would be better off with newer devices with at least Windows 10.

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

2 years ago

Wonder how the original poster @Voxx is making out ?

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

@EG​ 

sorry I been hectically busy. I was trying to  do settings to speed up my net. As I feel like it has a lot of hiccups. I  got confused because xfinity speed test and one from microsoft store showed two different speeds and  as I really rely on my net  for smooth livestreaming (mainly upload) I changed out my wires and now  I login to xfinity and it says can't find modem  often. i got a cat7 ethernet cable as well. They helped bring the speeds up  a bit. I purchased my cables.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

Ok I feel like my wifi jumps up and down . my wiring  from box outside to my home  I am not sure it's age and  I am also not sure if the splitter xfinity gave me for old apartment to balance my signals is needed? However Idk if I should have a tech come out . I am also thinking the xfinity app is giving false reports of this can not communicate with modem as it does not say that on pc.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

Hello @Voxx! I'm sorry to hear you are still having some speed issues and difficulty getting clear information regarding what may be going on. I'd love to take a look into your network health using our tools so we can get this figured out for you. Please send us a DM with your first/last name and address so we can assist. 

To send a Direct Message, please click on the chat icon on the top right of this page, next to the bell. Make sure to send the message to our singular handle "Xfinity Support" and we will get back to you ASAP.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

This is a slightly different speed test issue:  The new Xfinity website being rolled out doesn't seem to have a link to the speed test (currently https://speedtest.xfinity.com/).  Am I overlooking something or is it missing from the site?  It probably should be in a prominent place on the Internet page.

Official Employee

• 

455 Messages

Hello @Pilot_Of_The_Airwaves We do appreciate the feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our products. Are you having any trouble accessing the https://speedtest.xfinity.com link?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thanks for your reply.  I am not having any problems with accessing the link to the speed test -- in fact I have it bookmarked to make things easier.  My point is that, in rolling out the new, "improved" Xfinity website, someone evidently neglected to include a live link to the speed test on the site.  To me that's a major oversight (unless Xfinity now doesn't want customers to use it).  This situation is simple for the webmaster to correct.

Official Employee

• 

455 Messages

@Pilot_Of_The_Airwaves I do get what you are saying. I have the speed test booked marked as well. I find it easier for me that way. I am not always in the Xfinity My Account app. I will be sure to bring up the idea of having the speed test added to the Xfinity My Account app to the development team. 

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

2 years ago

If you have wifi as part of the test can you run ethernet from your router to the PC? For instance, my speed test wired is 550 - 650 down. Speed test using wifi runs 35 - 75. A couple nights ago wifi was running 102 down. The point being wifi can be variable. If you're slow using ethernet then there's something else going on. If you or a friend are tech savvy you could create a Linux live USB. I'd recommend Linux Mint or Zorin. You can run the tests you need without installing anything on your PC and Thinkpads are typically very Linux friendly, I'll bet all your networking components will work out of the box. This would remove any OS influences. I had an X60, it worked with no fussing at all.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here