zebettra's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Sun, Apr 19, 2020 11:00 AM

Speed down during day

Hello,

I have the performance pro plan and my router is a Motorala Arris Surboard SB6141.

During the night I can see download speeds of ~200 Mbps and upload speed around 5 to 7 Mbps. 

During the day time , especially weekdays, the speed goes down to:

download around 50 Mbps 

upload mostly < 2 Mbps (sometimes even as low as 0.2 Mbps)

Any reason why this happens? I am not too worried about the download speed going down, but the upload speed is what really kills me and I cannot use the connection to do work or skype calls. 

Thanks

Responses

Accepted Solution

EG

Expert

• 

86.5K Messages

1 y ago

FWIW, the retail version is still supported;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices#details

The rental version is the one that is EOL.

But I must agree with .@ComcastJosh !! A modem that has more downstream channels like the highly recommended Arris SB6183 will get you more consistent speeds !!

Bear in mind that this could be a local capacity / traffic congestion issue what with the current pandemic. YMMV.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

131 Messages

1 y ago

Hello, your modem is at End of Life.  It is highly recommended to buy a different and faster modem for your internet.  Here is a link to decide which modem is better for you then you should in most cases get more consistent speeds and faster on the upload and download through-out the day. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

131 Messages

1 y ago

I personally have the SB8200 but i also have Gigabit Internet. You could alway go with the SB6190 that is the one i had with Blast before switching to Gigabit Internet and i was getting really good speeds on both down and upload.  

You will need to contact us so that we can put the new SN and Mac address into our system and switch over the modems for it to properly perform.  At that time we will then also have you run a speed test to make sure you are getting the speeds that you are expecting to get or faster than you are getting now. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 y ago

Would traffic congestion cause upload speeds to be as low as 0.2 Mbps ?

Also, if I decided to upgrade, would SB6183 be good choice or would I need to consider something like SB8200?

And would swapping out/in be a plug-n-play or would i have to register my new modem by calling customer support?

Thanks. Appreciate your answers in advance

Official Employee

• 

131 Messages

1 y ago

Supported but going to give slow speeds and cause the exact issue being put here i agree. The system we use "Einstein"  comes up saying it is EOL so that is why i am mentioning it. I agree with you the modem can be used but that doesn't mean the best experience  will come from it. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 y ago

Thanks for the quick reply. 

If I got a new modem (from the list of modems recommended), and I swap out the old modem, replace with new modem - will it work automatically? OR would I need to register it/contact xfinity customer support for that?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 y ago

thanks for the reply

EG

Expert

• 

86.5K Messages

1 y ago

@zebettra wrote:

Would traffic congestion cause upload speeds to be as low as 0.2 Mbps ?

Possibly.

Also, if I decided to upgrade, would SB6183 be good choice or would I need to consider something like SB8200?

You don't need to waste your money on an overkill DOCSIS  3.1 capable modem like the 8200 unless you are planning to upgrade to their Gigabit speed tier.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
EG

Expert

• 

86.5K Messages

1 y ago

@ComcastJosh wrote:

You could alway go with the SB6190 . 

Has the Puma 6 chipset issue ever been resolved with the 6190 ? If not, I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Official Employee

• 

131 Messages

1 y ago

Hi all modems and devices have known issues with them and the SB8200 has its sets of problems as well. Most of my customers that i talk to when it comes to Arris and not renting our equipment all have either the SB6190 and or the older SB6141 and if they have Gigabit they have the SB8200.

I can't really go into the issues with each device and or manufacturer  on this forum site.  I personally have never had any issues with my SB6190 and i haven't ever used the SB6183 but i do hear it works great as well! 

I honestly look at it like,  buy one try it out and if it works great for you then you are done but if you buy it and it gives you problems swap it out and get a different model/brand etc. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

I'm seeing the exact same issue where I get less than 1Mbps upload during the day which is driving me crazy. It used to work fine before. OP - did upgrading the modem help??

I've the TP-LINK TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 modem and the comcast chat rep hinted (but wouldn't commit whether it'll help or not) that I might need to upgrade the modem. I've just ordered the NETGEAR CM600 with the hope that it'll help. 

New to the Community?

Start Here