U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, August 31st, 2022 2:23 AM

Closed

Sources of Internet Usage. Help me discovery why a spike in usage is occurring.

I have Comcast TV (cable) and Internet.   We are seeing an increase in internet usage that has pushed our total past the 1.2 Tb monthly limit.

This makes no sense to us since the pattern of our usage hasn't changed. No increase in time spent watching TV or internet apps.

Answers to questions about sources of data that would tally to against the monthly internet total have not been forthcoming when talking to Comcast

phone support staff (agents), and I've talked to several over the past few days.  I would like answers for the following:

1) Does time spent watching TV shows on networks included in the Comcast cable package count against the Internet package wifi monthly limit.

If using HD resolution, most streaming apps claim to use ~7 Gb per hour.  So, does watching 1/2 hour of network news rack up 3.5 Gb of data

against the wifi total?  The last agent that I spoke with said that it does.  If that is the case why is the TV package a charge separate from the Internet package?

2) We rent a cable box with DVR. If Comcast network shows are recorded during their normally aired time, is this a download logged against the wifi monthly limit.

3) If a show found in the online TV guide is viewed outside it normal aired time, does this count as a download against the wifi monthly limit?

And yes, I've changed the wifi password and checked all the devices that show up in the xfinity app against the devices in our house. 

All PCs have real time security software running.  TVs and PCs are turned off when not in use. 

I've even logged what was watched and for how long, and whether it watched on Comcast TV or an internet app, like Netflix. 

The numbers don't add up.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

From what Xfinity has posted in the past, the cable lineup isn't supposed to count against the data cap, but streaming apps/music/other internet use does.  So youtube, peacock or netflix will burn data on the data cap. 

Data use by streaming apps varies quite a bit.  HD streams are rare these days.  UHD and 4K are pretty common now.  It also depends on the codec used to create the video.  Netflix uses H264 to deliver content for an example.  There also isn't one stream rate.  Videos you watch can be distributed in as many as 12 stream rates.  The one you are watching depends on network conditions.  It will try to find the highest resolution stream rate it can deliver without buffering, and shift rates on the fly.

A rough guide on bare minimum data burn In terms of GB/hour to meet the definition label:

H264  H265

1280×720(HD)       1.35     .68
1920X1080(FHD)  2.7       1.35
3840×2160 (UHD) 11.25   5.4
4096×2160 (4K)     14.4     6.75

For other sources, there are many potential sources.  I've had an iPhone go insane downloading an update.  It was pulling over 12GB/hour retrying the download.  Stuck cloud backup/sync will do it too, as well as updates for software on PC's.  Windows using 'peer to peer updating' can do it too.  MS Office/Outlook and other mail can get stuck trying to redownload failed email or large email.  One-Source/One Note/any cloud based data storage or backup can do it.  Streaming devices (external boxes/sticks) can do it, and may not stop or timeout streaming or updating if you leave them powered on (firestick especially) -- turning the TV off does not stop this.  Cameras and IOT gear/smart devices can go insane.  It's also possible that devices are compromised on your network.

You can't see data usage per device with Xfinity gear which is why I don't use their stuff, just a monthly total on the Xfinity.com website.  You can see your data if you use other gear, and run all of your data including WiFi through it.  There isn't a data counter on MoCA/coax connected devices that I know of.  Also make sure there is a POE (Point of Entry) MoCA filter installed where the cable comes into your house.  They're about 1.5 inches long, about the same diameter as the coax.  It's a low pass filter that will isolate the coax network in your house from your neighbors.  Without it, your neighbors either intentionally, or unintentionally may be using your network.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@flatlander3​  Thanks for your reply flatlander3. 

The PoE filter sounds like a good idea.  I will look into that.  Since I can see many neighborhood networks, ours is no doubt visible to others, too.

I'm concerned that one of the devices in our home system may be compromised.  Several months ago we caught a couple of young guns going door-to-door in our neighborhood. One would

try to keep people talking as long as possible.  The other had what I recognized as a scanner.  A couple of us chased them off, but it would be easy for anyone to go down the lane

behind our fences with a scanner and tap into our systems.  Our wifi, and the neighbors, comes in at fair strength at both the front street and the back fence.  I have a couple of security software

systems that are used regularly to scan the PCs, but nothing has been picked up.  I don't know if this type of attack would be visible on the PCs.  

I traded out the comcast internet modem shortly after the visit from the two lads, but the usage spike only showed up recently, or they intruder is just getting bolder. 

The wifi modem was reset to factory settings and the password changed 4 days ago, but the high usage continues. 

We don't use firesticks or roku, etc.  We do have some comcast streaming boxes in addition to the main TV box.  No internal cameras or IOT devices. Of course there are some of the software

products that you mentioned that can run wild.  Also, there is at least one user in our house who cannot resist clicking on links.  The battle goes on.

Comcast is the only high speed supplier available in our area, so we are kind of stuck.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, again.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

For the 'scanners', they were probably looking for either vehicle key fobs or casing security systems for later theft.  Cars are easy to steal with the right equipment.  So far, WPA2 is still considered 'secure' for WiFi, and it takes an awful long time to break the encryption.  They'd be camped at your fence for a long time (month or longer with equipment if you are using a decent WiFi password).

The biggest problem is you can't see what is using data because Xfinity removed that ability, or do anything about it if it's a streaming box or MoCA device/set top box.  1.2TB is only 40GB/day average.  I can easily exceed that with what I do involving two off-site locations and a Roku or two.  Unlikely without severe issues, but a modest 300mbps speed tier is capable of pulling 3.240TB in a single day.

I'm using a firewall to monitor and throttle data per device, plus I don't trust the security of ANY cable router/gateway especially if it's configured via phone app (the least secure device you own).  You can't update it yourself.  Manufacturers don't update them when exploits are found.  Xfinity doesn't do any QA even if they did, plus the data monitoring on them doesn't work even if they pretend to count 'data used'.  They have limited ability to defend against hostile actors or network intrusion.

A fix could be paying for unlimited, however I would be still be concerned about what is running all that data if one or more of my devices are compromised, which is a far larger and potentially a financial issue. 

The solution is dumping Xfinity equipment, especially set top cable boxes.  Buy a 3rd party cheap cable modem.  Either make or buy a firewall and do your own mesh network WiFi.  Mesh WiFi is not expensive these days or use a couple of cheap access points.  Save $14/month.  It adds up.  There's budget.

For a firewall, check out opnsense (free), or netgate pfsense community edition (free).  Both will run on a retasked 64-bit processor box with two Ethernet ports in it.  Netgate sells a small firewall appliance box for around $200 if you don't want to build one.  Either one would give a hostile nation state actor with unlimited resources a run for their money with the default setup.  They have a lot of capability, most of which, you'll never need but it's there.  Then you control everything and can see everything on your network.       

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@flatlander3​ 

Thanks for that info. 

The new Xfinity app is a nightmare. Most of it doesn't work.  I share your concerns about paying for unlimited.

A way to monitor and throttle per device is what is needed. To be clear, when you mention set top cable boxes,

you have comcast TV and internet, but are running it through your own equipment?  All of that equipment would be

hung off the PC connected to the ethernet cable coming into the house.  

Sounds like I need to download the manuals from OpnSense or PFsense and get up to date on their equipment installation.

Best Regards

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

I just have some Roku's.  I don't use Xfinity's cable lineup.  You got options.  Sling, Hulu, youtube.....whatever.  I switch out other apps like socks.  There is an Xfinity stream app you can get for Roku.

They plug into the HDMI port on the TV, but I got the cheap Roku TV's too with it built in.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

+1 on the Opnsense / PFsense type suggestion.  These require a bit of a learning curve, but in my experience most people can get the basics down pretty quickly.  Anything like this will not only add a significant layer of protection to your network, but also provide granular details of everything passing in and out of your Xfinity connection.  You will be able to account for every byte transferred through your account to identify any problematic access issues.

If you are really concerned about this, Google Opnsense or PFsense and the interwebs are full of information.  And while I've never used the prebuilt Netgate products, I understand they are pretty much turnkey solutions.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

2 years ago

On the xfinity app (I know but it's the only way :), click "connect" at the bottom. Then select your network. From there select "advanced settings". Then "XFinity Wifi Hotspot Network" and select "Do not participate".

Others are using your internet access for free wifi thus increasing your usage. 

That's what fixed it for me anyway.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@mjkeaa​   Thanks, it is good to turn that off.  Ours has been turned off for years. And, yes I check it frequently to make sure it is still off.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

2 years ago

As a precaution I would make sure they are disabled both on the my account option online AND in the app. I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but I've seen one disabled on one and enabled on the other. Maybe worth a try :)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here