T

Thursday, July 27th, 2023 12:05 AM

Closed

Slow Upload Speeds

Hello,

I am facing an issue where none of the systems on my network are able to get above 20-23mbps upload (ethernet or wifi). I have the gigabit package where it should be 1000 mbps down. I previously had an XB7 gateway but was facing issues with devices disconnecting. I also faced issues with port forwarding due to the restricted admin interface and mobile app not able to port forward ethernet connected devices. While using the XB7+xFi Complete, I was able to achieve 100mbps upload. I have since switched to an Arris Surfboard G36. Initially I was facing issues until the device was successfully activated by a CSR after calling in. Now I am facing issues getting decent upload speeds. I've seen other forum posts where 100/200mbps upload was achievable on BYOD devices but the CSR said xFi Complete was not available with BYOD.

Is there a representative that can assist clarifying the requirements of 100/200mbps upload?

Accepted Solution

5 Messages

11 months ago

Thank you for your input. My concern is that information regarding this is highly scattered. My plan shows gigabit package, 1000 mbps download and 100mbps upload. The speed chart shows 1000/35. I can't even get over 24 even if xFi complete is a requirement.

There is another post here on the forums where a user had an Xfinity tech engage them directly and advised them to get xFi Complete even with a BYOD modem to achieve the speeds. I remember seeing the email you mentioned before as well.

It seems most answers require getting direct support from official reps on here hence my post.

I am looking to find out:
1. Why am I unable to get over 23 mbps on any of my devices (wired or wireless)

2. Is there any way to achieve the 100 mbps with a BYOD device (on the list of compatible devices).

Official Employee

• 

137 Messages

Hello, @TSori. I can certainly understand wanting to get the upload speeds with Next Generation Xfinity Internet. Currently, these speeds require that you have an XB7 or XB8 Xfinity Gateway and xFi Complete. To review your plan speeds without these requirements I would need to take a look at your account as speeds can vary per market.

Could you send me a direct message with the full name and complete address for your service? 

To send a direct message [private message]:

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/run-traceroute-command

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

I have sent a direct message with my personal information as requested, thank you!

The above link:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/run-traceroute-command
doesn't appear to exist anymore.

5 Messages

I have been on-and-off chatting with XfinitySupport for the past 6 hours and the following points are the highlights from the chat (in case it helps anyone else):

• BYOD devices:
    • https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects_2/my_device/Full-List-of-Compatible-Devices.pdf
    • Compatible does not mean compatible with upgraded network upload speeds (100/200Mbps).
    • Notes from support chat:
      • XfinitySupport: "The new speeds are accurate but can depend on if your local network has been upgraded. One thing I found, was that we are working on making xFi Complete not a requirement for the Next Generation speeds and this may be an option in your area in the future if it isn't currently. However, it does require equipment that is compatible with our upgraded network. I searched the list for your modem and saw that while it is compatible with our network, it wasn't compatible with the upgrades."
      • Me: "Okay great, this is actually some good information. So "compatible" from the list doesn't mean it works with the speeds, but "recommended" devices do?"
      • XfinitySupport: "Exactly, and you can confirm the recommended devices here https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/"
  • Network speeds:
    • https://www.xfinity.com/networkmanagement
    • Speeds shown reflect Xfinity Gateways WITHOUT xFi Complete package add-on or BYOD COMPATIBLE (from list above) modems.
      • For higher upload (100/200Mbps) a BYOD device has to be on the RECOMMENDED list or use Xfinity Gateway & xFi Complete.
    • I was not able to get a confirmation that the 2Gbps tier actually includes 2Gbps upload. All replies stated upload for the 2Gbps package would be the same 100/200Mbps.
  • Port Forwarding a hardwired device via Xfinity Gateway
    • There are numerous posts here on the forum pointing out a shortcoming when Xfinity pushed port forwarding/advanced network configuration out of the modem's admin center and to the Xfinity mobile app. Ethernet connected devices do not show up in the list of 'connected devices' when trying to port forward. A quick Google search and you can find many other threads with the same issue and no resolution. I don't care to try to chase this any further especially after hearing support for port forwarding is limited to sending guides on how to port forward. The issue isn't how, it's that the technology that is present in the app does not detect hardwired devices.
    • Notes from support chat:
      • XfinitySupport: "When it comes to port forwarding we are able to share with you how to access it and how to port forward, but if any issues are present after that our support stops there."

I am currently in the process of returning my current "compatible" modem (G36) and ordering a "recommended" modem (G33) to see if my upload speed may improve. I'll update after 8/6/23 post install/configuration.

5 Messages

Update:

• Switched the compatible (Arris Surfboard G36) Modem/Router combo for a recommended one (Arris Surfboard G33).
    • Speeds were the same.
  • Was advised that running an Xfinity Gateway in bridge mode would provide the xFi Complete compatible speeds (1000Mbps down/100Mbps up).
  • Worked with customer support and switched back to XB7 gateway + xFi Complete, confirmed speeds work and now not having any disconnected devices since the devices are connected to a personal modem. Will continue to monitor device connection performance over the next few days/weeks.

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

Hmmm..... I've got the 1200 upload plan. My download for the last 2 years has been 35 to 40. Today it's suddenly 3 to 9. I'm running the Arris SB8200 (listed as incompatible sometime last year) but still worked fine. Wondering if there's a change on their end that renders it to crawling upload speeds. I appreciate you uploading everything from your chat.

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

11 months ago

Currently as it stands that’s a perk for Xfinity modems with xfi complete. 

Now Xfinity did send out a email stating xfi complete would no longer be needed to get the upgraded upload speeds BUT they gave no date or timeframe for when they would do it. 

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

11 months ago

I understand. I can only speak as a Xfinity user on the x2 plan. I will state this, from my time on this forum most problems seem to stem from hybrid setups. My setup is a xb8 with xfi complete

. This my speed on a iPhone 11 over Wi-Fi. 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here