U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 13th, 2021 2:55 PM

Closed

Slow speed then fast after modem reboot then degrades over time.

My problem is very similar to this one

I'm in Houston in a new apartment building.  I have 800mbps Internet Plan.  For the last two weeks my speed will drop below 50 mbps.  After a modem reboot of the Motorola MB7621 it will speed up to 400 or 500 mbps but then after 15 or 20 mins it will drop back down to 50 mbps or less.  I have placed a call to support twice and both times they said everything looks fine from their side.  I am plugged directly into the cable coming into the unit - took the splitter out.  I'm also plugged directly into my modem - no router in the way for testing.  Not sure what to do - was thinking just drop my internet to a slower speed - why pay for 800 when I never see it?

Below is the stats after reboot but now it's slow..

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

AFAIK it's around 100 dollars, not 700 if the problem is found to be on your side of the demarc point and not theirs.

If none of those tips apply then your only recourse is to get a tech out to investigate the problem.

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home.

Good luck !

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

A follow up - the tech came out boosted the signal and then added a -7db splitter and now I'm above 40db on all channels and back to 800mbps.

Thank You.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thanks for letting us know, @user_578abd! I'm so glad our technician was able to resolve the issue, and we appreciate you taking the time to reach back out and share those results :) Please feel free to start a new post in the community with any other questions or concerns as they arise, and have a wonderful day!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

Where'd you come from ??? 😜

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

The SNR's are too low / out of spec on many of the downstream channels. There are also a large number of uncorrected bit errors on them as well. It appears that spurious noise is ingressing into the line(s) somewhere. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, latency problems, and the un-bonding of channels.

In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold-colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.

Also check the coax cable for any damage such as cuts, nicks, kinks, sharp bends, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two-way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street / pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Good luck with it !

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thank You EG for taking a look - yes I'm plugged in directly into the line coming into my unit.  So there are no splitters that I have access to on my line. 

I was told it would cost me $700 if the problem was found on my side so I was hesitant to book the visit.

Thank You!

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

Looks good ! Hope things hold up for you ! Good luck !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here