sridharar's profile

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, March 28th, 2022 5:06 AM

Closed

Slow Speed on 1.2GB Plan

I upgraded to 1.2GB 3 days ago.  But I am not seeing any increase from my previous 600MB Blast Plan. 

In fact, the speeds have gone down from previous 230/250 to under 200 MB on WIFI.

in my iPad on WiFi speed has gone up a bit, but on my windows laptop it has gone down.

I am using a 1 year old NetGear X4S AC3200 Modem/Router Box.

I also connected a HP Laptop with 1GB Ethernet port and directly connected it to one of the Ethernet Ports on the Netgear. I cannot get even 300MB speed on it. I get similar speed using another laptop connected to one of the other Ethernet ports.

I have spent hours and hours with XFinity/Comcast Reps in vain. They keep asking me to do the same things all over again and again.. turn on/off the modem, reboot the laptop, install the xfinity app, run speed tests, we will send a signal to the modem etc..

I was so tired I went and took several hours of nap...

They cannot run a speed test from their server to Modem/Router and tell me what the Speed Is? Why?

Also my xfinity app and account information keeps saying I am on 600MB Blast plan, though I am supposed to on on 1.2Gb. They still do not have an answer. 

I have read this forum many related notes and all of them get to a point and carry "Topic Closed" but there are no answers or conclusions for the issue.

I am at total loss... Since my Netgear Router is past warranty/support I cannot anything from them yet. In the past even when I was in warranty they were not helpful..just pushing me through loops with no real progress (these were on other issues .. not related to GB internet with Xfinity).

I have tried to check on my Modem FW version...and I do not see any menus for updating it. 

Admin Portal states I am on V6.01.07.

Appreciate any/all help from users who have solved this issue on their side, as well as from Xfinity Experts.

Thanks Sri.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

I upgraded to 1.2GB ... NetGear X4S AC3200 Modem/Router ...

The Netgear C7800 is not approved for use with 1.2 Gbps Internet service. Comcast rates it for use with plan speeds "Up to 948 Mbps" (see https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices).

Using devices on Internet speed tiers for which Comcast has not approved them tends to produce unexpected results, often speeds well below the manufacturer's ratings. You should upgrade the device, or choose a lower plan speed for which the device is approved.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks BruceW for the clarification.  I hope you are right..

Your statement "would produce unexpected results" is intriguing!! 

If it is true, wonder what kind of Idiotic Engineering is behind this. (I am speaking as a Senior Technologist/Executive who spent 20+ years in Telecommunications industry).

May be it is all "marketing/sales" ploy to intimidate people from buying their own equipment?

I wanted the 1GB Plan (the next step up from 600MBPS Blast) and they told me that I will actually get 1.2GB speed.  I said OK.  They could have just provisioned it correctly - and leave the reserve power of the NetGear Docsis3.1 capability for the future (up to 10GB speed).

Instead of pushing operations into a hopeless chaos and wasting endless hours over the past few days -- cycling through useless tasks "do this, do that.." and masquerading as they are knowledgeable, and worse -- "your equipment is the problem, you should rent proper equipment from us.."

Reminds me of my bank process which would reject my payment of $20 for a statement balance of $19.98, and then charge fees and penalties of $25 for non-payment, late payment etc. I had to go through significant effort to get this process corrected - not for myself but for all customers. Wonder about the people who put in place such processes/rules without basic common sense or worse abiding by other stupid rules that are placed on them.

With your input I will call them again today and see how to get things back into sane state of operations.

After all internet has become essential utility on par if not more than Electricity, Water, Heat etc.  

Thanks Sri.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Try different browsers and test sites

i have the xfinity 1200 plan and was only getting 300mbps via speedtest.net using Opera. I used the google test by searching "internet speed test" and got 900+.

Safari only got my 400 via google but when i went back to speedtest.net i got over 900. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here