X

Friday, July 5th, 2024 11:00 PM

Slow Internet Speeds when connecting to servers farther than a few states away

So how can I talk to someone who can actually fix our problem? The only thing I can do is request another tech to come to the house and not fix the issue. The issue is obviously not in the house. It's a larger equipment routing issue.
Our internet speeds are plenty fast (~700-900mbps) when connecting to servers located relatively close to us (west coast and Midwest - we are in California). When I try to connect to a server outside those areas, like Florida, New Jersey, Virginia, etc., our speeds drop to ~3 or 4 mbps. 

If I connect to these servers using a VPN, the speeds are fast again, around 500-600mbps. So the issue seems to be with the way Comcast is routing traffic that goes to these parts of the county. We also are having issues with the DVR system. Since the DVR Comcast provides is virtual, when the recording has to play back from a server on the east coast, we have a bandwidth issue. It will either constantly pause playback to buffer or it will refuse to play at all.

We had a tech come out last week who said he would escalate the problem. We waited about 5 days for the issue to be resolved. But the "fix" only lasted about 4 days. Now it's back to the same issues. I'm not sure what Comcast is out there doing, but they certainly have an issues with a certain node or something. We need to get this resolved. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 months ago

Thank you for reaching out to our team here @Xx256795. I would be happy to check on any internet issue from here for you. Could you send us a direct message with the full name and complete address for your service? 

To send a direct message [private message]:

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

2 Messages

2 months ago

The problem seemed to be resolved for a few days. Now it has been intermittent. I have reached out to support again. But so far, they have not been able to resolve the issue. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here