gusr205's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 27th, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

Slow internet speed

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have 200 mbs blast but running the xfinity speed test I get 90 mbs max. The first tech that came to the house said that there was water in the line to the street. When that didn't fix it, the second tech brought a box that connected to my Motorola modem/router output port which showed 250 mbs. When I connect the same line to my computer and ran Xfinity speed test it shows 90 mbs. The tech's response is "your computer is old" (new 1 month ago). Same cable connected to his diagnostic box or computer shows either 250 mbs or 90 mbs.

Why would the Comcast diagnostic tool read 250 mbs on a modem/router output port when the same cable connected to the computer and running Xfinity speed test shows 90 mbs?

Thank you.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Can you confirm that that computer has a 10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet port / adapter, and that it has negotiated at speeds greater than 100 with the router when looking at your network properties dialog ?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your reply! My computer has a Realtek adapter that is rated to 1Gbps. I'm not sure I captured the information you requested but I noticed in the Network Properties it shows Speed 100.0 Mbps. Is there a setting to change this?

Today I swapped my Motorola modem/router for an Xfinity modem/router. Same issue speed test runs 88 Mbps when tech says the port is running at 250 Mbps.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Best regards,

Gusr205

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@gusr205 wrote:

I noticed in the Network Properties it shows Speed 100.0 Mbps. Is there a setting to change this.

Are you using a cat5e or better ethernet cable ?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

Is it by any chance a Dell?  A poster said that Dell has software that limits download, he uninstalled that program and he now gets rated speeds.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

FWIW, the poster stated this;

" it shows Speed 100.0 Mbps"

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here