pdevasto's profile

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, October 29th, 2022 4:34 PM

Simplify Wifi: Starting From 5G Band instead of 2G Band

Hi all,

I have an XB7 gateway, and need to purcjase an XFI pod to improve coverage, so and want to combine the two networks I currently have into one. When I start the Simplify Wi-Fi process on the XFinity app, it always tells me that the SSID it will use is the one for my 2G band. It also tells me that I will need to reconnect all my 5G devices again to the new network. I happen to be blind, and to reconnect some of these 5G devices will require sighted assistance to get it done. Is there any way that I could do the simplify process using the 5G band to start with, so that all I would have to do is to reconnect only a few devices, which I can do without assistance? I am very comfortable using both the XFinity app and the admin tool with my special screen reading software, so if there is anything I can do here it would be great. Thank you so much!

Accepted Solution

XfinityChe

Official Employee

• 

6.8K Messages

3 months ago

Hello @pdevasto, and thank you for posting to the Xfinity Community Forum to get assistance with Simplifying your Wi-Fi. That is a great question. Have you tried to mirror the names and passwords?

In the settings for either the 2.4, 5 or 6 GHz bands, put in the name and password for the one you want to use permanently. It can either mirror one of the bands current names and passwords, or you can set them all to a new one.

For example, you can go into the settings for the 2.4 and 6 GHz signals and set them to mirror what is already set up on the 5 GHz band. Or you can change all of them to something new and as long as they are the same they will "band" together. Does that help? 

pdevasto

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Hello 

@XfinityChe​and thank you for your reply. Your suggestion sounds almost too good to be true! So, just to make sure I understand correctly: My two current bands are named HOME-C972-2 (2G) and HOME-C972-5 (5G). I want my new "master" network to be named HOME-C972-5, with the hope that all devices connected to this band will not need to be reconnected. So are you saying that I can edit the settings for HOME-C972-2, and change the SSID to HOME-C972.5? Would I also need to change the network password to the password for HOME-C972-5? I'm assuming that the gateway would have to be restarted in order for this change to take effect. Am I correct that this is all I should need to do? I really was afraid to just blindly OMG bad pun coming from a blind guy, sorry LOL) go in and try that. I really thought that perhaps choosing the Simplify my WI-Fi process did other things. thank you again for your nice reply!

Official Employee

• 

557 Messages

Those are wonderful questions, and you are correct! So once both network names match, you may have to update the passwords on the devices to match that of the HOME-C972.5 Though the password itself FOR that network, would not require you to change it.
As mentioned, simply just update the password and ensure the devices are connected to the appropriate network once you've 'merged' so to speak, the 2 networks! Please let us know if you have any trouble, or if you have any questions! We'd be delighted to help further if you need us! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
pdevasto

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityChelseaA​ This solution worked PERFECTLY! So terribly sorry I did not come back to reply. It sounded too simple to be true, but all my 5G devices stayed connected, which was exactly what I was hoping for. I only had three or 4 2G devices that needed attention, and they were a piece of cake to reconnect. I'm trying to figure out how to mark this answer as accepted, my screen reader is having trouble looking for it. I did click on the Like button. thanks to your help, my Xfi pod is arriving today and I can't wait to install it. The netgear extender I thought I needed has simply not been cutting it! thank you again for the help! It's great that folks like you also monitor this forum.

XfinityJohnG

Official Employee

• 

233 Messages

I am very glad to hear that worked for you. Thank you for choosing us as your provider. If you ever have any other questions or concerns on your service or account you can reach us here 24/7.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here