Fmichael4's profile

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Friday, July 26th, 2024 4:46 PM

Set Up VLAN

I'm looking to set up a VLAN on my system and I can't find any detailed information on how to do this with the Xfi router. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about this concern. Are you still experiencing issues at this time? If so, can you please provide more details about your current setup and if this is a Business or Residential device. 

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

This is a residential device.  I would like to put my smart thermostat, ring camera, and similar devices on a separate partition from my other devices.  I am not sure what other information you might need., 

I found the instructions below  on line but I don't see an option to seleft 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi 

T

Using the Xfinity App

1. Sign in to the Xfinity App with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Select WiFi (from the bottom navigation on the Xfinity App).
  3. Select View WiFi equipment.
  4. Select Advanced settings.
  5. Select 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi.
  6. If you would like to select a specific WiFi channel, select Edit next to 2.4 or 5GHz.
    • A dialog window will appear.
  7. Choose the channel number from the Channel drop-down.
    • To complete the change, select Apply Changes at the bottom of the dialog window.

Thank you, 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @Fmichael4, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.

If you're looking to set up VLANs and you have an Xfinity router, here are some approaches you can take:

1. Use a Dedicated VLAN-Supporting Router

• Purchase a VLAN-Supporting Router: If VLAN configuration is essential for your setup, consider adding a dedicated router that supports VLANs to your network. Devices like those from Ubiquiti, MikroTik, or Cisco often offer advanced VLAN capabilities.
    • Configure the Dedicated Router: Connect this router to your Xfinity router in bridge mode or as a separate network. Set up VLANs according to your needs on the dedicated router.

2. Using a Switch with VLAN Support

• Get a Managed Switch: If you have a managed switch that supports VLANs, you can configure VLANs on the switch and connect it to your Xfinity router. The managed switch can handle VLAN traffic and separate it as needed.
    • Configure VLANs on the Switch: Set up VLANs on the managed switch by configuring the switch’s VLAN settings. Connect the switch to the Xfinity router. Devices connected to different VLANs on the switch will be logically separated.

3. Configure Bridge or AP Mode on Xfinity Router

• Set Xfinity Router to Bridge/Pass-Through Mode: If you’re using an additional router for VLANs, set your Xfinity router to bridge mode. This disables the routing capabilities of the Xfinity device and passes traffic directly to the connected router.
    • Connect Additional Router for VLAN Management: Connect the dedicated VLAN-capable router to the Xfinity router, and configure VLANs on the additional router.

4. Using Business-Class Xfinity Equipment

• Contact Xfinity for Business Solutions: If you’re using Xfinity’s business services, you might have access to equipment that supports VLANs. Contact Xfinity for details on business-class equipment that supports VLAN configurations.

Basic Steps for VLAN Setup on a Managed Switch

If you opt to use a managed switch, here's a simplified guide:

1. Connect the Managed Switch:

• Connect the switch to your Xfinity router.
    2. Access the Switch Management Interface:

• Use a web browser to log into the switch’s management interface. This typically involves entering the switch’s IP address into the browser.
    3. Create VLANs:

• Navigate to the VLAN configuration section.
      • Create VLANs and assign them VLAN IDs.
    4. Assign Ports to VLANs:

• Assign specific ports on the switch to the created VLANs as either access ports (for devices that are in a single VLAN) or trunk ports (for carrying multiple VLANs).
    5. Configure VLAN Tags:

• Set up VLAN tagging (e.g., IEEE 802.1Q) for trunk ports if needed, to ensure VLAN traffic is correctly identified and managed.
    6. Test Configuration:

• Connect devices to the switch ports assigned to different VLANs and verify that VLAN isolation and communication are working as intended.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
    Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
    We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
    Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Thank you!  Much appreciated 

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hey there Fmichael4 Did the information provided above help in getting the VLAN equipment setup? We're here to assist further as needed. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
    Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
    We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
    Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

20 days ago

Hi Xfinity Experts, 

I wonder if deploying a cisco multi-layer switch would work simply by plugging in between the xFi pod and end devices. Does the xFi pod needs to be in bridge mode for a switch to work and provide layer2 functions? Isn't the bridge mode limit the routing functionalities and may require another router? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here