RealAct's profile

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, June 27th, 2021 12:29 AM

Closed

Second IP needed - ARRIS - SURFboard S33 with Comcast 1200Mbps Service

Hi,

A few days ago, I received notification from Comcast through e-mail stating that my current modem was not able to get advantage of the new 1200Mbps speed increase that has been enabled for customers on my current internet tear. 

So I went ahead and purchased the ARRIS - SURFboard S33 and I also purchased a new Netgear Orbi RBK-852 Router (which as an extra perk has Wi-Fi6 and a 2.5Gb Ethernet Port) problem is with all this setup I have not been able to get the desired and offered 1200Mbps connection when the router is connected to the modem.

If I connect my main desktop directly to the Arris modem through its 2.5GB Ethernet port, then I get all full speed of around 1300Mbps+ in all speed tests with no problem at all. So far so good, right? Well, the problem starts when I then connect the Orbi Router to the second 1GB Ethernet port on the modem, (So the rest of the devices on my home network can get internet) it cannot get a connection at all.

The only way I can get everything connected is by connecting the router to one of the ports on the modem and then connecting EVERYTHING else to the router (Standard setup) but when I do that, then everything is limited to speeds of around 940Mbps (Of course because everything is limited to the weakest link, in this case, the router). Then what is the point of getting a new modem that supports the new speeds if to use it I can only get one device connected?

I understand that all my devices cannot get that speed because they do not have support for those speeds, but my main desktop does (it has a 10GB Network card) I only want to get the 1200Mbps on my main desktop, so that's why I wanted to get the desktop connected directly to the 2.5GB on the modem and the router to the other 1GB Port.

This modem has two Ethernet ports (which means it can provide two different IPs). According to the manufacturer's help page here, they say the following:

>>>>It is possible to connect two devices to the S33.  However, the cable provider must provide an Internet IP Address to each device for Internet access.  If both devices cannot connect to the Internet, contact the cable provider to request an additional Internet IP address.

According to my research on the issue, It seems I need an additional IP address from Comcast so my second Ethernet port on this modem actually works. I tried calling Comcast to see if they can provide me with a second IP address and after almost 2 hours nobody seems to know what I'm talking about and then the call got dropped. Really frustrating. :-(   

I purchased this modem and router because Comcast e-mailed me saying I should get a new modem in order to get the new fast speeds of above 1Gb that they are now offering to customers who subscribe to the internet package I have.

Anybody from Comcast who can help me here? I would appreciate the help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

-Eli

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Eli

I’ve got SB8200 both WAN ports working fine until I enable Link Aggregation (LAG)on the modem, 2nd IP is lost, should you intend to do the same, let me know how it goes, I’m using ROG AXE11000 router. 

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@KAIREWA  Thanks a lot for your reply, 

I attempted setting up Link Aggregation on my Orbi Router which as a feature for that, then I also tried looking up on the modem configuration, but I couldn't find anything related to link aggregation in the modem settings themselves.

I'm really frustrated with this. Sure, I'll post here if I find a solution.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@KAIREWA One question, do you get above 1000Mbps when you have both ports on your modem working? I would love to keep this modem if Comcast would drop in and help with the two IPs setup, because it is an excellent modem, but then again, if they don't maybe I can try the modem you mention as it also seems pretty good.

I read that for link aggregation to work on that SB8200 modem, you must have a router which supports it. (Mine does).

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

@RealAct realistically for SB8200, each port pushes 940-ish Mb. Having LAG enabled will allow to push over 2.5Gb from the router but I suppose Comcast restricts dual IP for LAG.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@KAIREWA Thanks! 

What kind of router do  you have? So you enabled LAG in the modem only, or both the modem and your router? My router has LAG, but it only has 1GB ports, I could only get something above 1000Mbps if I connect wirelessly to it. Which is what I'm trying to avoid, Whence I need to find a way to enable the second LAN port on the modem.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

So I have a asus router, I use the dual wan setup, 2 1000 Mbps Ethernet connect ions from my multi gig modem, I achieve 1400+  With just one ip

(edited)

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@jlavaseur Hi,

How exactly do you have dual WAN setup? Do you use a router or connect your rig directly to your dual LAN modem? 

I can only get one LAN  port on my modem to work at a time, when I restart the modem whichever gets the connection first that's the one that works, the other port is dead. I can ONLY use one LAN port in the modem at any given time. The manufacturer says I need an additional IP from Comcast for both ports to work.

Thanks.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I have a asus rt-ax 86u router the thing is even with that router, you can only use the 2.5 gig port on wan or lan not both, so I just setup dual wan, both wan are 1000 Mbps and I setup the lan coming out of the router as the 2.5 port

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@jlavaseur thanks for your reply, 

I wish I knew more about networking, then maybe I could do something like that, but I really have no clue how to set up what you describe.  Where do you configure the dual WAN? Is it on the router settings? Or in the computer?  Also, after setting up dual WAN you connect your PC normally to one of the router's LAN ports? 

I see your router has a 2.5 LAN port, mine doesn't, I can only get 1200 speeds Wirelessly from it. It can receive 2.5, but its LANs are only 1GB.

Maybe then cannot have your same setup. That's why I'm trying to make the second port on the router work, so my main desktop can connect directly via ethernet to the modem and get the 1200Mbps from it.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

The dual wan is setup on the router, yes you connect to the designated 2.5 gig port, that being said, the speed tests are faster, but in my daily internet activities, I don’t really get to utilize those faster speeds, 1400+ Mbps for a email.. haha

(edited)

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@jlavaseur thanks,

I just hope one of the Comcast employees that look at these boards reply to me and offer some help.

@ComcastEva  @ComcastAaron @ComcastMorgan  or any other employee could you please help? How do I get a second IP so both ports on my supported and suggested modem work?

Thanks. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

@RealAct

They are phasing it out but I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. We've seen cases here where they have been able to get this accomplished for customers even when it is not listed in their rate cards, YMMV. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck ! 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

990 Messages

Thank you @EG for bringing more visibility to this topic and @RealAct we would be happy to further assist with this. Please send us a Peer to Peer chat message and please include your name and service address to get started. To start the chat you may click on the chat icon on the top right of this page and once there select the paper and pencil icon and search 'To:' and type 'Xfinity Support' My team and I are ready to help! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@EG thanks so much for doing this, I really appreciate it and the information.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@ComcastEva Thanks for responding, i have already done so. I have contacted you guys via the chat.

I appreciate your help 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@RealAct @ComcastLinda 

Please post any possible solutions for the issue here in the open forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@EG Unfortunately I have bad news,

So far, although the Rep who is helping me has been extremely polite and knowledgeable/willing to help etc,  they haven't offered anything other than suggesting for me to change to a business account type of service which is WAY above my budget for internet and offers way less internet speed for even higher prices.

After doing my own research I found out that their XB7 Gateway has an additional 2.5GB port which perhaps I could use (Turning my Orbi into an Access Point Only and their Gateway doing the routing type of scenario) but of course that would cost me more monthly, and I'm not even sure if I have to pay for the XB7 Gateway. 

I also need to research and see if my Netgear Orbi router would work well like that. I have to research more. Honestly I'm starting to think I should move to AT&T Fiber which is also available for me and has 1GB Down 1GB up for $70 a month, lower that I pay now for Comcast.  I'm not getting anything above 1GB with Comcast anyway due to their silly restrictions.

So I'm now asking more questions about that option with the XB7, I'll post more at a later time.

Why in the world would Comcast stop offering second IPs now with the arrival of Wi-Fi 6 when more and more modems and routers will be available with 2.5 ports is beyond me. Frustrating to say the least.

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

@RealAct  if they do provide you with an additional IP address, you would need to enable LAG on modem then hardwire each WAN out to an enabled LAG router.

FYI dual WAN and LAG may not work to output 2.5Gb as the bootfile may not allow that to happen which is why I say I’m left with 1IP when I switch on LAG on my modem.

You’ll need another modem connection with a separate account to utilize LAG functionality for 2.5Gb connectivity. Or upgrade speed to 2Gbps

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

FWIW, an additional public IP / WAN address assigned by an ISP is not needed for a LAG / LACP / Port Bonding feature to be able to function.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Hello everyone,

@KAIREWA they refused to provide a second IP address and were of barely any help at all. The solution I found it myself, or better said "The workaround".  No way I'm going to be paying $200+ per month for a second connection, nor upgrade to their 2.GB plan because that would still have the same issue I have now.

I don't think my issue is quite understood. Simply put, Comcast does not allow more than one device connected to ANY modem except theirs (more on that later).   So if you, like most people in this world have more than one device in your network, and again like most people on this world have a router that ONLY has 1GB ports, then you cannot take advantage of their 1.2GB service EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUPPORTED MODEM. If that is your case like most people, then you WILL ONLY be able to take full advantage of that 1.2GB connection if you have either a router with multiple 2GB ports or higher (so you can attach more capable devices to it). Currently, I believe there's only 2 consumer routers on the market that meet that, or only connect ONE device to that 2.5GB port on their  supported modem and disconnect all your other devices from the internet.

Another way is if you have a Wi-Fi6 capable router with devices which support those speeds in a wireless manner. In my case I have a Wi-Fi6 router and 1 main desktop with a 10GB Ethernet port. I got a supported and suggested modem by  Comcast with one 2.5G port and another 1GB port. Since I only have this one device that really support those speeds I wanted the second IP so I could connect the router to the 1GB port for all the rest of the devices on my home. But I wanted to connect my 1 Device with the 10GB port directly to the 2.4GB port on the modem so I could take advantage of those speeds I'm paying for.

Through my own research, I found out I could use their modem/router combo and turn off its wireless radios, then use my Orbi in Access Point mode. Now I can connect my computer directly to the Comcast XB7's 2.5GB port while connecting my Orbi to one of the other 1GB ports.

This however cannot be done with other modems, (perhaps with another modem/router combo device, not sure, but I couldn't find any Cable Modem/Router combo with 2.5GB ports). 

That is the ONLY solution I have found to my particular problem. The only thing Comcast suggested was for me to pay for a second internet connection or move to a business plan, which like I said above is way more expensive for even less speed, neither is a real solution IMHO. 

Their setup is dumb and frustrating for users. As more and more people join their 1.2 plan or start getting equipment with 2GB+ network cards in the future, you are going to start hearing about this type of complaints more and more, watch.

Regards

PS: Don't forget that you will also be forced to pay the rental fee for using their Modem/Router in this scenario.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

Hello, @RealAct. 

While I'm glad you were able to find a workaround for your situation, I'm sad to hear you are still unhappy with the outcome. 

We definitely do not want to you feel like you are being forced into using our equipment due to 3rd party equipment limitations. 

We want to make sure your services are able to meet your usage needs while having options when it comes to how those needs are met. 

While using your personal setup with the Surfboard, were you finding that setup wasn't meeting your usage needs? While I understand using a Gigabit connection when you are paying for 1.2GB isn't ideal, it should be more than enough of a connection for most activities. 

Please let us know if you were or are finding that your service is lacking in some way as it could be an indicator of more underlying issues that we can take a look into for you. :)

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@ComcastTambrey  Sorry, but the limitation is not because of 3rd party equipment, the limitation lies within the Comcast configuration for its internet services for home costumers itself where you limit the use of dual port modems by not allowing a second IP to be used with a supported modem, and force users into having to use your own modem if they want to take full advantage of the connection they pay for, like in my case. 

I do have the right equipment, I have a supported modem and a device with a 10GB Ethernet port. But you prevent my supported modem from working the way it should work by limiting it and refusing to provision it with a second IP, which it needs to properly function.

Regards.

Sorry for breaking the forum rules. (I didn't know the use of bold or upper case in some phrases of a paragraph was not allowed, my apologies) 

{This post was edited for violating forum guidelines}

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

@RealAct, Our configuration does not limit the customer's ability to use multiple ethernet ports, hence why you are able to switches as well as both ports on the equipment we lease. 

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the functionality of 3rd party equipment and we cannot change the requirements that 3rd party equipment has for enabling each port on their devices. 

We understand that it can be frustrating that we are no longer offering multi-ip for residential customers, and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. If you change your mind about any of the alternative solutions such as transitioning to a business class account for that particular feature, we are here 24/7 to help with any of those changes. :)

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Actually, Xfinity is limiting service and equipment function by limiting the amount of IP addresses we can use on third party modems. I have a T25 Arris surfboard. I have a home network with 3 computers, two tablets, two cell phones, and like 3 gaming consoles. You allow one internet port with a single IP address on my modem with my entire network running through that single port when I could split the bandwidth and have two IPs utilizing one for online gaming and one for the rest of my home network if Xfinity wasn’t limiting me to a single IP address. Arris designed these modems with two internet ports for a reason, and Xfinity’s service does not allow us to use both ports.

If you want to monopolize this industry, at least give us the best services you can provide. Stop being stingy and let us use our equipment to it’s fullest potential. All it takes is giving us the ability to authorize splitting our connection into two IP addresses so we can directly connect a second network or device…

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@Dustyn216

You're not strictly limited; you can move over to business class.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

@jlavaseur would you please share your load balancing ratio and the DNS that you use? 

The ASUS GT-AXE11000 router has an option to use the USB Connection as WAN, so I’ve ordered the dongle and is arriving tomorrow.

This way I can have Primary WAN set to WAN port and the USB port as Secondary WAN.

I’ve had WAN and 2.5GbE configured previously under dual wan but couldn’t get above 1200Mbps 

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

So I have tried having dual WAN setup with SB8200 modem, ASUS GT-AXE11000 router using 10’ CAT8 cables. 

If someone wants to see speeds above 1Gig, they shall get a modem that has at least a multi-gig port.

Thinking of Link Aggregation on SB8200 to achieve 2Gbps, rather get the 2Gbps plan than having to spend on layer 3 switches and yet using Dual-WAN because LAG activated on modem loses second IP. Connection isn’t stable and do not recommend dual-wan for gaming enthusiasts on consumer grade routers. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here