Aplescan's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, December 11th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Second IP address for Arris S33 cable modem

Good morning!

I used to have an XB6 cable modem before, but recently switched to a newer Arris S33 device.

Old XB6 modem had two Gig Ethernet ports, both were functional, meaning device had 2 IP addresses provisioned.

After Arris S33 was activated, only 1 Ethernet port is functional even though device does have 2 of them. 

Can I get the second IP address provisioned so both Ethernet ports on my Arris S33 would function simultaneously?

Thank you in advance!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

3 years ago

The XB6 is a gateway, which means it has a built in router and WiFi capability. Hence, both ethernet ports will have internet connection.

The S33 is a cable modem only, no routing capabilities. You will need to hook up a router to it in order to have multiple ethernet ports connected to the internet. Since it's a modem only, either the 1 Gb or the 2.5 Gb port will work, but not both at the same time.  

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

darkangelic Yes, I do have a router, a L3 device with Private IP address scope for my home network hoked up to the modem. I wanted to see if I can lit up the second port on the modem itself for testing (test the speed directly from modem, I have an ongoing issue there) so I don't have to drop Internet for the rest of the house every time I'm having issues. As stated above, this feature is being fased out but it is still possible to get it for certain markets. You are correct though, I overlooked the fact that BX6 is much more than just a cable modem since I only used it as modem in my setup...

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, correct, I'd like to have a second Public IP on the modem if I could please.

Thank you for the escalation!

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Aplescan wrote:

Good morning!

I used to have an XB6 cable modem before, but recently switched to a newer Arris S33 device.

Old XB6 modem had two Gig Ethernet ports, both were functional, meaning device had 2 IP addresses provisioned.

After Arris S33 was activated, only 1 Ethernet port is functional even though device does have 2 of them. 

Can I get the second IP address provisioned so both Ethernet ports on my Arris S33 would function simultaneously?

Thank you in advance!

A router will give you private / LAN IP's. If it is indeed a second public / WAN IP that you desire, they are phasing it out but I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. We've seen cases here where they have been able to get this accomplished for customers even when it is not listed in their rate cards, YMMV. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here