sempercliff's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, January 3rd, 2024 8:19 PM

Closed

SB8200 Max Upload Speed

Hello,

My internet plan recently changed from 800 down / 20 up to 800 down / 100 up. I own an Arris SB8200, but the max upload speed I've ever seen is still hovering around 20 Mbps. I received an email stating that I could receive 5 - 10x faster upload speeds if I upgrade my modem. The SB8200 is DOCSIS 3.1 and my understanding is that it supports upload speeds up to 232 Mbps, so I'm wondering why I would need a new modem to support the 100 Mbps upload speed.

Do I really need a new modem? This thread on Reddit suggests it might just need a firmware update.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

9 months ago

... Arris SB8200 ... Do I really need a new modem? ...

Yes. The Reddit thread you linked was posted by a customer of an ISP named Midco (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midco). Comcast/Xfinity does not approve the SB8200 for the higher upstream speeds. See https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

9 months ago

Hello @sempercliff Thank you for reaching out. As @BruceW shared the SB8200 is not compatible with the next gen speeds and a new modem would be needed. At this time there is a limited number of options available. You can see the eligible devices here.

Thank you @BruceW for your contribution to the community. 

6 Messages

4 months ago

When will this issue be addressed by Xfinity?

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 months ago

@user_8s5mcs 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 5-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here