D

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 16th, 2021 8:16 AM

Closed

SB8200 + Asus Rt-AX88U + 1.2Gbps tier = 945mbps?

I less than a month ago ended up upgrading to the 1.2Gbps speed tier and have some questions about my setup and why I can't get to anything over the low 900mbps speeds.

I enabled LAG (Link Aggregation) on the SB8200, have Cat6 cables plugged into both ports of the modem and then in the WAN and LAN 4 port of my router as explained in Asus FAQ, I enabled Wan Aggregation in the settings and on the routers main page it shows 2Gbps WAN aggregation is on.

Now I know that my one PCs onboard lan and the routers lan ports are limitation factors, so I tried using my other PC that has a Pcie Wi-Fi6 card in it, I put it like 2 feet away from my router and got a solid 2.5gbps connection being made to the router, but all that resulted in no improvements in the speed tests.

And just recently I saw that according to xfinitys supported modems, the SB8200 is not supported for 1.2Gbps, which doesn't make sense considering that it has the hardware capability to easily do so, especially since it has the dual 1Gbps ethernet ports and link aggregation.

So is this a problem with just how Comcasts config files are for the modem? Do they not support LAG?

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

3 years ago

@dece870717 Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your SB8200 and the 1.2 GB speeds. The download speed for this equipment is up to Up to 1001 Mbps which is why the 1.2 GB speeds are not supported. You can go to https://comca.st/2QE5hS4 to see a list of modems that would support the 1.2 GB speed. Looking into the link aggregation, you should be able to enable that feature in the gateway and have it work. It sounds like the issue here is that we have the modem listed for possible speeds up to 1001 Mbps and not 1.2 GB. 

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

WHY can I *not* speak to someone who understands this problem when I call into care??  They are clueless and read from a script.. nothing more...!   10 seconds after going to the forums I find this. And the link you provided clearly states that my modem doesn't support that speed AND which one I can buy that will. THANK you for that link. I'll go order an upgrade. 

Now if they email that comcast sent ONLY had a section that said "By the way, that 1.2gbps speed isn't supported by the modem you have..".

Either way.. thank you!

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

@ComcastAbbie

It's been a while, but I was able to finally verify that my setup/connection is working correctly. All I had to do was to run Speedtest simultaneously on two separate devices; I ran the Speedtest app on the ethernet connected HTPC and my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5ghz WiFi connection, sure enough, I ended up with a total of roughly 1,406 mbps down and 46 mbps up.

So, it works, I just won't ever see the speed on one particular device at any time. The only way I think I would be able to is by getting a dual 1Gbps ethernet port LAN card that supports Link Aggregation, and then set up the LAN bonding option that my router has.

So, if anyone wants to know, the SB8200 w/LAG enabled + Comcast 1.2Gbps tier + Asus RT-AX88U w/ WAN Aggregation enabled, will give you the speed you're supposed to have, you just won't see it on any Speedtest or see one particular device utilizing that speed to its max.

This comment was created from this reply
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here