Phil467's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 17th, 2023 3:56 AM

Closed

sb8 manual

Where can I obtain the User Guide or Manual for the Xfinity XB8 Wi-Fi Gateway (a.k.a. Vendor Technicolor, Model: CGM4981COM)?

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

1 year ago

Hello and welcome to Comcast. Thank you so much for reaching out to us about your concerns of the modem manuals. You can actually go to https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides? and review the user guide for the XB8 modem. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityRoberto​ I just clicked on the link you provided and there is no manual for the XB8 modem on that page.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

What exactly are you looking for to get assistance with in regards to the gateway @joespadea ? Our support page at Xfinity.com/support would be where you get answers to any concerns you may have with information on the device, and the Xfinity app is what you would use to set up and troubleshoot the gateway. I can look up anything more you need, but I'm not sure exactly what you are wanting to do. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have almost the same question as @joespadea: I'd like a user manual which tells me how to install the XB8 gateway without using the cellphone app.  I have a metal roof on the house and foil-faced insulation in the walls; my house is like a Faraday cage.  My cell phone doesn't receive a signal in the house except if I'm connected to WiFi.  But if I'm installing a new gateway then I don't have WiFi.  The xB6 gateway (with the noisy fan) I'm replacing appeared to be programmable with a direct Ethernet connection according to online Xfinity information, but that turned out to not be accurate. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi, @user_6b6141 try using this link. xfinity.com/activate You will see app instruction but try the blue hyperlink on the bottom of the page. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

1 year ago

@user_6b6141 

Connect it to the coax line / outlet and power it up. Let it fully sync up with the system, and check that the front / top panel indicator light(s) are steadily lit. 

Then connect a computer to it and open up a browser. You *may* see their *Walled Garden* modem self registration page. If so, follow the screen prompts. Have your mobile telephone number, your Xfinity username and password, or the account number and telephone number associated with your Comcast account handy.

If not, go outside and try calling 1-855-652-3446. That is their self-install device activation line.

If that doesn't work for you, stay outside and call 1-800-comcast and tell a rep that you would like to have a new modem provisioned for service. Have the RF / CM / HFC MAC address and the serial number of it handy when you call.

As far as the "noisey fan" goes, it's a common problem. The fan is malfunctioning. There is no fix other than to get it swapped out for another. If you can't tolerate it, take it to your local Xfinity store for the fastest option, or ship it back for free via UPS and have them ship you another one. You can even get *home pickup*.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/returning-your-equipment 

1 Message

1 year ago

I've been looking for instructions on using the "4 gigabit Ethernet ports" documented in the marketing literature.  For instance, one of them is marked with an orange line - how is that port different?

The "user guide" linked by @XfinityRoberto is useless - a one page list of features and "download the app and follow the instructions" is a poor substitute for a user manual!

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_5839b0​  The port with the orange (or red stripe one on some models) is a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port.  The rest are 1Gbps. If your connected hardware does not support 2.5Gbps, it "should" downshift to 1Gbps and work fine.  Bad cabling "may" cause a further downshift to 100Mbps if it works at all. 

Moral to the story?  If it doesn't have a proper manual, and only a phone app interface, you don't want it. 

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

1 year ago

The original poster has not returned. 4-month-old / veering off topic thread is now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here