Joby613's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, January 9th, 2021 5:00 AM

Closed

SB6190 Unable to login to modem

I have a Surfboard SB6190 cable modem and I cannot login to it. I type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar an hit enter. That brings up the Arris login page with boxes for username and password. I try my last known good username and password and get an error message: "invalid username or your access has been locked due to multiple failed login attempts". So I attempt to reset the modem to factory defaults by depressing and holding the button on the back of the modem for ten to fifteen seconds, unitl the lights on the front shut off, then I allow it to turn back on. At this point the username and password should be reset to the factory defaults of admnin and password, but still no dice. I've tried this several times and I always get the same error message. Does Comcast lock users out of their own modems? Did my modem just take a dump because they are cheaply made?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@Joby613 wrote:

I have a Surfboard SB6190 cable modem and I cannot login to it. I type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar an hit enter. That brings up the Arris login page with boxes for username and password. I try my last known good username and password and get an error message: "invalid username or your access has been locked due to multiple failed login attempts". So I attempt to reset the modem to factory defaults by depressing and holding the button on the back of the modem for ten to fifteen seconds, unitl the lights on the front shut off, then I allow it to turn back on. At this point the username and password should be reset to the factory defaults of admnin and password, but still no dice. I've tried this several times and I always get the same error message. Does Comcast lock users out of their own modems? Did my modem just take a dump because they are cheaply made?

Have you tried calling Arris technical support, 1-877-466-8646?  I confirmed with them that admin/password ARE the correct default credentials.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

3 years ago

On some modems, there was a change in default passwords. Try using "admin" (must be lower case), and for the password, try the last 8 digits of the modem's serial number (should be on a tag somewhere on the modem.)

Even for the generic admin/password, make sure the case is correct.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Joby613 wrote:

At this point the username and password should be reset to the factory defaults of admnin ?

Just for curiosity, this may seem silly, but are you spelling it as you have written it in the above quote ? Because that is incorrect. It would be admin

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

@EGYeah, that's a typo, and there doesn't seem to be a way to edit my original post.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

@jav6joevI didn't even think about that. I'll try to call them first chance I get. I've just reinstalled Win10 and I'm still configuring the system. Then I have to image the drive.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

@andyrossI'll try that, but unless they changed somehow, the default username and password should still be admin and password, lowercase. I've been logged into the modem before, during initial setup and again anytime the internet was down. The modem is on another floor from my pc and that's how I usually restart it.

I am a trained professional when it comes to checking the caps lock during login! LOL! I just had to reinstall Win10 on my pc and I have thirty odd accounts I had to login and save passwords for!

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

@jav6joev  I finally got around to calling the 877 number and the agent recommended trying the last eight digits of the serial, after he told me my warranty was expired. I think the modem was just on it's way to catastrophic failure. Now when I try to login it does nothing or I get the spinning pinwheel. I had purchased a new SB6190 earlier this week and installed it then configured it with the Xfinity app no problems. Thank you for your help.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I had the same situation with my SB8200.  Called Arris and after a lot of back and forth, the technician said tried admin./password, which did not work.  Then, he said try admin/last 8-digit of S/N and it worked.  Then, I reset the password.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here