KC8018's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 9:00 AM

Running cable

We are getting ready to run cable from our main house out to a couple ADUs, furthest is 500ft away.  Anything we need to know / do from a Comcast perspective?  Thanks!

Responses

CCAndrew

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 m ago

From any perspective it’s probably too far
EG

Expert

• 

88.1K Messages

8 m ago

@KC8018 wrote:

We are getting ready to run cable from our main house out to a couple ADUs, furthest is 500ft away.  Anything we need to know / do from a Comcast perspective?  Thanks!

What number coax cable are you using ? You may need to use amplifiers at that length.

New Poster

• 

11 Messages

8 m ago

Coax at 500' is not your friend, ethernet or a wireless Point to Point system would be more in order. Ethernet is rated to 300' for maximum speed but if you don't need a or some gigabits per second that would be fine.  If it were my property I'd rent a trencher and dig a hole between the buildings and buy some pipes, glue them together into a conduit, insert it into the trench, then use a shopvac to vacuum the cable through the conduit, then backfill the trench.

CCAndrew

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 m ago

@Jennifufu369
You never mentioned what you’re putting in the pipe in the trench...

New Poster

• 

11 Messages

8 m ago

I said ethernet earlier in the post I thought? Yep I did, come on Andrew ;). If the ground is rocky or otherwise difficult to trench I'd use UBNT Point to Point system.  500' LoS could use a cheap one of those. if his property is far away from any equipment rental places it might be cheaper to use PTP between his main building and the nearer outbuilding, and another one with ethernet backhaul between to the farther building.

New to the Community?

Start Here