Jiminy_Cricket's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, August 19th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Router Modem Factory Reset

I have been using my own Arris Surfboard cable modem/router for a while now.  I need to do a factory reset to unlock my admin password.  Do I have to contact Customer Support for anything when I do that?  I don't want to interrupt internet access for very long. 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Jiminy_Cricket wrote:

Thanks, but that's not what I asked.  I know how to do it and what I need to do to reconfigure my network.  I just wanted to know if someone from Xfinity had to resend some sort of activation code or do some other procedure, being it' not their equipment.  

Isn't this my first sentence: "No. There is no need to call support." ???

And pardon me for including instructions and for being thorough................ I can't know what it is that you know...... Have a nice day.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 years ago

No. There is no need to call support.

To hard reset the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. The user name and the password will now become the defaults of admin and password. You will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks, but that's not what I asked.  I know how to do it and what I need to do to reconfigure my network.  I just wanted to know if someone from Xfinity had to resend some sort of activation code or do some other procedure, being it' not their equipment.  From what I found on the board's search, I don't think I need to contact anyone, but that may have been an Xfinity box.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 years ago

"Cursory". Really. Seems like a direct and to the point answer to me. Sorry you feel that way.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be nasty.  I did see your first sentence, but that was only a cursory answer.  Your extra explanation didn't address the reason why I asked but made it sound like I didn't know how to do the reset.  Something like, "No, Xfinity Support will not need to be involved when facory resetting equipment that is not theirs." would have made me feel better about doing the reset.  If I have a delay getting back online, I may mess up telecommuting.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 years ago

Thread is going nowhere. Now being closed before any further degradation.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Cursory - hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed.  Yes, cursory.  Lighten up, Frances, I just asked a question with a follow up for more details.  Sheesh.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here