U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 24th, 2022 12:44 AM

Closed

Router has 3 different MAC address

I just moved into a brand new apartment building. There are two routers/modems in my apartment. One for Xfinity, one for Century Link. I talked to customer support to get my WIFI set up, but they couldn't locate my modem? One of the support people asked for the 'CM MAC,' which my modem does not have. My modem has: eMTA MAC, EPON MAC, and WAN MAC. When I called customer support, they asked me for the CM MAC. I explained to them there wasn't one.

It has been extremely frustrating communicating with the Xfinity support team over the phone. They won't even let me talk, they just throw solutions and ask questions and don't listen. I didn't even know I had to plug in the little orange circular plug into the modem because they wouldn't even let me finish a whole sentence to ask about it! They did what they could just to get me off the phone, including giving me an out of service phone number to call once I got off the phone with them. I was livid.  

I JUST NEED TO CONNECT TO WIFI!!!

After I plugged in that little orange adapter, the modem came on, and my phone was finally able to find the network- XFSETUPABA9. HOWEVER, my phone instantly lost connection-"network connection lost,"-my phone said. So, I open the Xfinity app to complete the setup. I'm going through all the pages and I wait for it to connect or "find" my modem, of course, it says it cannot find it. I am at a loss with this company. I am about to just cancel my services and use Century Link instead due to the unhelpful staff, and the ridiculously long process of setting up WIFI, even though the sticker on the modem says "WIFI READY!" What I need to know is: Is EPON MAC the same as CM MAC? If my apartment was 'WIFI READY," do I need to contact the front desk at my apartment and ask them for certain information. If so, what information would I need? PLEASE HELP!

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

3 years ago

Do you have a coaxial cable / DOCSIS / HFC connection to Comcast or is it an FTTH / fiber optic connection ? What is the exact make and model number of the modem / router  gateway device ?

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

@user_Gabriella Good evening! Thank you for reaching out to our Community Forums Team of experts. I can see how this would be frustrating, but I can assure you, you are in great hands with getting your services set up today. I know how important it is to stay connected, and have your move go as seamless as possible. The CM MAC, is the cable modem Mac address, eMTA's are mostly modems that are used with phone services. It's just a matter of what services you are subscribing to, that identifies the which type of modem you are using. To get started with getting your services set up, can you please Direct Message your name and the service address we will be working with this evening? 

To send a "Peer to peer" message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

3 years ago

The fact it has an EPON mac indicates it's an FTTH router.

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

3 years ago

Ya' think ! 😉 😁 The question would be is which MAC addy do they use ?

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

@EG​ I would imagine the EPON MAC in this case.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I  am having the exact same issue as user_Gabriella. I have been in my apartment since Nov 2021. Even though the apartment is set up for self install, xfinity sent a technician out and they set up our network. They did not ensure that we could access the network through the app.  I have called multiple times to fix this and get stuck in the same cycle of “we need your CMAC address” and my response “my modem has 3 MAC addresses and none of them are CMAC. Today I have run into an issue where I need to see what the network is doing. I would appreciate help on this - John

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

@JJJD1028

When you moved into your apartment, was the modem already there for you? You may have EPON, Ethernet Passive Optical Network (which is Fiber to the unit), and it uses a unique gateway called the XF3. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here