U

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, July 15th, 2021 6:38 PM

Closed

Redirect External Port to Internal IP

Before Xfinity, I used to use a router behind the cable modem and connect to different computers on my LAN using RDP. I would use:

publicIP:port1 and it is sent to lanIP1:localPort1

publicIP:port2 -> lanIP2:localPort2

Now and with Xfinity modem/router, I am unable to do that.

So if I have two machines on my LAN that have remote desktop with port 3389, I cannot connect to both. Xfinity port forwarding doesn't allow that out of the box.

Is there a different way I can port forward outside port to specific LAN:Port ?

thanks,

Official Employee

• 

2.7K Messages

3 years ago

Have you already attempted to set up port forwarding using these directions:

1. Visit https://comca.st/3kp6xFo or open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Select the Connect tab.
  3. Select See Network under your WiFi name.
  4. Select Advanced Settings under More Options.
  5. Select Port Forwarding from the menu.
  6. Select Add Port Forward.
    Note: If you've previously set up a port forward from your Gateway's Admin Tool (https://comca.st/2VNXdAt), you should see it listed in the Port Forwarding Settings.
  7. Choose the household device for the port forward you are setting up from the drop-down list of connected devices.
    Note: If you don't see the device listed, it may not be connected to your home network.
  8. Choose from the list of common applications to use a recommended, preset configuration (e.g., Xbox or PlayStation) or select Manual Setup to enter specific port numbers, ranges and/or protocols.
  9. Select Apply Changes to complete the setup of the port forward.
  10. The device you set up for this port forward can now use these settings.
    Note: If you are unsure what port settings to choose, reference the device manual or the application you are trying to use. Opening unnecessary ports is not recommended, as it may pose a security risk.

If you have attempted that and it didn't resolve the issue you can also set up port forwarding using the admin tool. The full directions on the options you have to set up port forwarding can be found by clicking this link: https://comca.st/3xMhPas. Let me know if any of the options work, if not have your considered putting the modem in bridge mode and using your previous router with the modem?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

The suggestion by XfinityBillie would only work for one of the two computers at a time.  You'd have to reconfigure the router each time you wanted to use RDP with the other computer.  And you'd not be able to RDP into both at the same time.

@user_31a8f3 - barring using a third party tool, you'd have to edit the registry on one (or both) PC, changing the port that RDP listens on.  Then setup the xfinity router to forward the ports you chose for each PC.  When connecting to your computer using Remote Desktop Connection, youll need to specify the port after the computer name or IP address.  Like: My_PC:1234 (using computer name inside your LAN), or my.public.IP.add:1234 (from the internet/WAN).

To set the port your PC will listen to, edit registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

The default is 3389

P.S. - you'll probably need to open the port you choose in the Windows firewall on each PC.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here