AlanD's profile

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

Thursday, March 18th, 2021 7:45 PM

Closed

REALLY strange Comcast admin page question (EG help!!)

Yesterday i learned that when you bridge your Comcast gateway, you can no longer access it with 10.0.0.1  but instead 192.168.100. 1

I did that, and immediately was taken to the gateway's web page.  I thought all was fine.  BUT when I went to sign in with 'admin' and my changed password, I received "ACCESS DENIED!I 

I tried several times, no luck.   

Then I connected the gateway directly to my computer via Ethernet, rebooted the gateway and when my Internet came back, I accessed the gateway via 10.0.0.1.   

The sign on page popped up, I used 'admin' and my previously changed password and got right in immediately!!!

I then connected the gateway back to my router, rebooted the gateway, accessed it via 192.168.100.1 and once again it said my access was denied.   For some reason when using the two different URL addresses it wants two different passwords.   I tried  'admin' and 'password' and that didn't work so I have no idea what it's looking for.  And if I go through the hassle of restoring back to factory settings,  I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen.  It'll work great when connected directly to my computer,  after bridging and going through my router it will not.

Do you have any idea what's going on here?   I always appreciate your expertise.  Thanks

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

I'm not sure why that glitch / scenario is happening, sorry. All I know is that when it is in bridge mode, the 10.0.0.1 address is not supposed to ever work at all anymore.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @AlanD! Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Xfinity Forums for support with your gateway. 

Given your description, it sounds like you are getting caught up at your router's UI. Depending on which one you are using, it can look very similar to ours but it's definitely different as you have to use 192.168.100. 1 to access it. 

If you still have the box it came in, you can check either the outside or there may even be a pamphlet on the inside that gives you the default login for that particular device. :)

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

FWIW, 192.168.100.1 is for accessing straight / plain vanilla cable modems and CC supplied combo gateway devices when they are in bridge mode.

Customer-owned stand-alone routers are typically accessed at 192.168.0.1 / 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.2.1

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

Comcast Tambrey -

Thanks for your reply!   I know I'm connected to my rented xFi gateway, not my router because I see the Xfinity logo as you can see from my attachment.  

When I connect directly to my gateway through Ethernet via 10.0.0.1,  using my saved password I can log in perfectly.

When I connect through my router via 192.168.100.1  my password is denied.  

It's like the Twilight Zone around here, lol.  

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@AlanD This would certainly be a frustrating issue to have. I think at this point, I'd recommend to see if you can get logged in with the info on the side of the router since the login is fine when the router isn't connected. If that doesn't work, I would try to factory reset the equipment and do the setup again. I understand your reservations with that step, because it is a lot of work if it doesn't end up working, but we would want to try this to see if it will fix this issue. 

(edited)

I no longer work for Comcast.

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

ComcastAbbie -

Thanks for your reply!

I tried using the long password which was on the bottom of my xFi gateway, but that didn't work.

A few days ago I DID go through the hassle of a factory reset, requiring I give Comcast a name and password of my wireless network even though I was going to bridge the gateway and that step was required, but unnecessary in my situation.     No change at all, it still didn't work.

I guess this isn't that big a deal.  If I need to get into my Comcast gateway, I can always ,just go directly into it via Ethernet and reboot. 

It's all just a mystery to me why this is going on.   Why would a password that I created always work directly, but not when going through my Linksys Velop router.  

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you for the info! It sounds like there is an issue with the router not knowing or recognizing which router to log in to. I am glad you have a work around, but I am sorry I can't give you a specific reason as to why it wont allow you to log in when the router is connected. If you'd like us to, we can look further into this for you and see if we can get any additional answers. Can you please reach out through private message (by clicking on the chat icon on the top right of the page) with your first and last name, name on the account if different, and service address so I can get your account pulled up?

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

ComcastAbbie,

I guess this just isn't my day.  When I click on the message icon and type "Comcast Abbie" into the name box, it says, "results not found"

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

My sincere apologies. We recently changed our private messaging system here on the forums. To send a Private Message with the new system, you just need to click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, and then select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat, instead of selecting a specific person. Please let me know if that works any better.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

Yup, it works fine now.  I sent you the info there.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Excellent! Thank you for letting me know. I will continue assisting you through chat.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@AlanD  @ComcastJamesH 

Please post any possible solutions for the issue here in the open forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

No solutions yet.   The Comcast folks told me that I wasn't reaching my Comcast gateway's web page, but instead reaching my router's GUI.  That's why I couldn't sign in with my gateway's password. 

If you look at the picture I posted above, does THAT look like anything but the Comcast gateway?

Still a mystery, but if I figure anything out EG, I'll certainly post the solution here.  

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi, @! We are awaiting your reply. You can continue in our private chat when you are ready to keep investigating. We are always ready to help. 

Problem Solver

• 

341 Messages

3 years ago

FYI - My Modem is in Bridge mode and I access it all the time at 10.0.0.1

Never heard that in bridge mode the address changes to access the GUI interface. Just now tried the signing in at 192.168.100.1, I can sign in there as well with no problem.

(edited)

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

Only the 192 addy worked in bridge mode in the past. They constantly are changing the firmware functions.

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

If you're still following this thread, I have narrowed my problem down, with still no solution.

When I connect my bridged Comcast xFi gateway directly to my computer via Ethernet,  I can access the gateway via http://10.0.0.1 with my password, and get into the settings.    If I then access the gateway via http://192.168.100.1,  I see the same sign-on screen but now my password does NOT work.   My Linksys router is not connected in either case.  

Since only the 192.168.100.1 works when the router IS connected, I'd love for this URL to work.  

Very strange.   I can't believe I'm connecting to two different gateways, so I'm perplexed.  

Any thoughts?   

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Hello @AlanD [edited out full name], thank you for reaching out to us here with this concern. I highly doubt if you're connecting to another user's gateway :) When you say that you're not connected to the Linksys router are you connected directly to the modem via Ethernet cable? Does this only occur when you bypass the router? 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

Hi ComcastAmir --

Yes, I'm connected to my bridged Comcast xFi gateway directly via Ethernet cable, NO router in the path.     I can then access the gateway via 10.0.0.1 and sign in with my changed password.   If I then just go to 192.168.100.1 I see the same gateway sign in page, but now my changed password doesn't work, and I cannot change it because I'm locked out.   (If I put my router back in the system, I can't access the gateway via 10.0.0.1 anymore, only the 192.168.100.1  which has locked me out.)    

I hope I explained this clearly, lol.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Sure! Thank you for providing such great details :) Have you tried taking the modem out of bridge mode and try and access your gateway via 10.0.0.1?

Problem Solver

• 

613 Messages

3 years ago

ComcastAmir --

Yes, I tried that and it DID work.   The problem is, if I take my xFi gateway out of bridge mode, I'd have two wireless networks which would create something called a 'double nat.'

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I've heard from most in this forum that if you DO connect your Comcast gateway to your own router, you SHOULD put it in Bridge mode.    I believe our friend EG has said that many times.  

I'd love a comment from you on that.  

THANKS,  I appreciate your response.   

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Great inquiry about the Xfinity gateway in Bridge mode! The device needs to know which router to take commands from since there is a router module built inside the gateway and you are adding a second to route from your own device. Bridge mode allows the Xfinity gateway to bypass its router and use yours instead. A previous agent mentioned starting a ticket to address this issue. Was that action performed for you? I can research the account for this ticket if you are able to chat privately by clicking on the chat icon at the top right of the page. 

Problem Solver

• 

341 Messages

3 years ago

@AlanD  From what I understand, you have a Comcast modem/router, and your own personal router. If you want to use your own personal router, the comcast/router must be put in bridge mode. As far as logging into the comcast modem/router, when in bridge mode, there`s nothing much to adjust anyway. except change the password. If you just want to use the comcast modem/router, then take it out of bridge mode ( usually does it automatically) and do not hook up your personal router.

When using the Comcast modem/router by itself, to access it, just use the Xfi app.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here