Dinotiro's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jan 5, 2021 6:00 PM

Re: Two routers

Is it possible to have two routers one in the first floor and one in the second floor with the xfinity cable?

Responses

jlavaseur

Valued Contributor

• 

411 Messages

4 m ago

This guy explains how to do it with a Ethernet cable, he rambled on a little, but the video is very informative, don't need a second ip at all

https://youtu.be/J5QJb3O19zI

he has some interesting networking videos

EG

Expert

• 

86.6K Messages

4 m ago

@Dinotiro wrote:
Is it possible to have two routers one in the first floor and one in the second floor with the xfinity cable?

Are you talking about having 2 combo modem / router gateway devices ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

4 m ago

Hi there, Dinotiro. It's possible to have one modem in a location and two routers, however that isn't something that we recommend. It can actually cause interference and lead to connectivity issues. We'd like to help you address any needs/concerns you have. Are you experiencing issues with WIFi coverage at your location?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

4 m ago

I have to ask why it is "not recommended"?  I have a router and a range extender, and get flawless performance with no issues whatsoever.  A second router set up to act as a repeater would work as well.  I see no reason why such a scenario would be 'not recommeneded'.

Thank you. 

Gottahavit

Regular Contributor

• 

93 Messages

4 m ago

Only an issue if your gateway/modem and your router have wifi and then only minimally.  The potential issue is 2.5/5ghz interference between the two.  I am running an XB7 and my nighthawk at the moment with no issues.  The only real issue is that unless you put the modem into Bridge mode you will have 2 private networks and devices on one will not easily talk to the others internally to you house.

New to the Community?

Start Here