LGLDSR's profile

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Re: New XB7 Gateway

I have the XB-7, Blast, etc. Wired I'm pulling ~300Mbps. WiFi from 20' away about 70Mbps.

Comcast / Xfinity, just retired after 40 years as a Network Administrator with years at four Fortune-500 Corporations so I know a *bit* about networking. Any input greatly appreciated but please spare me the basics.

Thanks.

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

5 years ago

When it is directly connected to the gateway over its WiFi, sometimes the Connected Devices could also tell you which frequency it’s on. It’s better to do the SSID split as that will be the better test.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the quick reply!

Testing with a reliable known good laptop that is giving me the ~300Mbps (avg ~245Mbps) hardwired throughput.

Re 2.4 and 5GHz settings - not an option I am seeing within the GUI for the XB-7. 802.11N Channel Width in Win-10 Pro for WiFi set to 20MHz for 2.4GHz. For 5GHz, set to Auto.

Only one SSID in use.

Again, many thanks.

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

5 years ago

Since you’re getting good on Ethernet and not WiFi, I would check the following first:

1. Are the bandwidth settings set to the highest possible?

2.4 GHz should show as 20/40 on the settings screen

5 GHz should show at least 20/40/80 or even 20/40/80/160 as the selected option.

2. Are you only using one SSID at this time? If so, try it with them being separate.

3. What kind of device are you testing with?

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

5 years ago

Gateway > Connection > WiFi

Nothing there?

I would definitely try splitting the SSID for a test. What I think could possibly be happening right now is for some reason your device is probably latching onto 2.4 GHz for some reason. You’re probably not going to be able to get that full 300 because of 802.11 N. My XB6, personally, when on an 802.11 N only device on 5 GHz maxes at about 150 Mbps. While my AC clients can get much higher.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. The only issue is this is relatively new behavior. E.g., two weeks ago I was pulling ~145Mbps but the laptop may have been connected to the Extender (Netgear EX7000, AC1900) which this laptop will latch onto when it's up. I'll try it and get back to you.

Channel Bandwith for 2GHz is 20/40. 5GHz is 20/40/80. My bad on not noticing that before.

Best,

Lyman

Channel Bandwith 1.JPGChannel Bandwith 5.JPGGateway.JPG

3 Attachments

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Here's a good one from ComcastCares Support on Twitter. I asked where the Antenna's were on the XB7. I.e., side, top, back, front, rear. Enjoy.

No Antennas.JPG

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Okay, thank you.

Best,

Lyman

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

@LGLDSR wrote:

Here's a good one from ComcastCares Support on Twitter. I asked where the Antenna's were on the XB7. I.e., side, top, back, front, rear. Enjoy.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

5 years ago

Those settings are locked to you, thanks to xFi Mesh Mode so you wouldn’t be able to change it to that anyhow.

From my knowledge at the moment, the XB7 does not support 160 MHz (same for XB6) nor does it support 802.11 ax at this time

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Should I change the 5GHZ from it's current 20/40/80 to 20/40/80/160?

Thanks,

Lyman

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

5 years ago

Were you able to try the Split SSID test?

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Will do so today. Your response times are outstanding, thank you!

Best,

Lyman

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Hello,

Would anyone happen to know if it is possible to order and XB7 and have it shipped?

I am 50 miles from Boston.

Thanks in advance for any available information.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I was able to check if the XB7 was available in my market (Huntington, WV) with customer service. It was and was shipped out to me on Friday. I should have it on Wednesday to swap out for my XB6.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for the info.  I just called Customer Service and they have placed an order for an XB7 for me  I should have it within 5 business days.  Here's hoping!!   Please let me know when you get yours, and I will do the same when mine arrives.  Thanks again.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here