verywhitenoise's profile

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

Wednesday, November 18th, 2020 7:00 PM

Closed

Re: High Latency/Unstable Internet

I am also having these same issues. I've had 2 techs come out and one replaced every single line from the pole to my modem, including the cable in my walls. There are no splitters involved - I only have internet and its direct to my modem. I have purchased a new modem to rule that out as well. Problems persist. @ComcastTambrey  Can you please assist? I have attempted to message you, but clicking your name (and viewing your profile) does not provide any "send message" option.

I am beyond wits end, as this is incredibly frustrating and harms my work and life enjoyment.

I am pinging directly (hardwired from PC to modem with no router) the comcast gateway provided by DHCP (73.24.55.1) and having huge latency spikes and packet loss.

verywhitenoise_0-1605755532600.png

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

4 years ago

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it needs to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim, you could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to it here.

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you very much for your help.

I have uploaded an image from ping plotter showing typical issues - this is from now (10am PST 11/19/2020) with a 60minute snapshot.

https://imgur.com/mcDb2M8

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

I continue to have these problems, daily. Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited. I have called into comcast 5 times. I have had 2 technicians visit, the last of which said "Do NOT have another tech come out - there is nothing we can do. You have brand new cables from the pole to your modem and your house/cable/modem is all perfect."

verywhitenoise_0-1605910346671.png

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

Ping amounts of 100 ms and below are average for most broadband connections. In gaming, any amounts below a ping of 20 ms are considered exceptional and “low ping,” amounts between 50 ms and 100 ms range from very good to average, while a ping of 150 ms or more is less desirable and deemed “high ping.”

Your graph confirms you have a average/good  broadband connection, no high latency, very usable and virtually no packet loss, if your having issues it's not your connection 

For reference, 1000 ms = 1 second

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

I am sorry, but you're either not looking or not understanding. This is a ping *to the comcast gateway* 100ms to my first hop is borderline unacceptable, but it spikes (often and frequently, as my pictures show) to 400-500+ with 1-3% packetloss. In no network is 1-3% packet loss acceptable to your gateway.

This results in games being unplayable online, YouTube/Netflix buffering constantly and elements of web pages not loading or rendering correctly. This is a 1gb service.

To reiterate, 300-500MS latency and 1-3% packet loss to the *comcast gateway* is absolutely a huge problem. This should be around 12-20ms with 0% packet loss.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

I guess I misunderstood, are you saying that 73.24.55.1 is your Comcast gateway wan ip? I am a little confused because it looks like your somewhere in Oregon or maybe Colorado and that Ip looks to be in Arkansas. I could be wrong tho

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

Good catch - I must have had at typo. I will find out my actual gateway and post an updated screen shot - but do note, these are not useless tests. The first hops (in OR and WA) also show 1.5% PL and spikes in the 300-500MS range (ping plotter graph shown as imgur link).

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

I downloaded PingPlotter and tried it out, I used different tools to do roughly the same thing and got very different results, I am on the east coast and to that hop you have trouble with I get no packet loss and better ping times, that being said, the hop/router handles ping and such requests different then thru traffic,  ping etc is low priority, sometimes you can see a 100% packet loss at a hop yet still get a response from your target, because the thru traffic wasn't effected, all I am saying is take those ping tests with a grain of salt

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, ICMP packets can be QoS'd differently than standard traffic. That is not the case.

This graph is not the reason for my complaint and desire for a fix - this is the empirical proof. The reason is massive latency spikes, packet loss and the troubles those cause. Zoom meetings, for instance, frequently pause or garble video and audio. Netflix and youtube also frequently pause. In online video games, I can see my latency go from 50-70ms up to 500+ and frequent desyncs/stutter steps/ice skates occur. Those are the reasons I called comcast, the reasons they sent out techs to replace all the lines and those issues still occur. Those times line directly with the packet loss experienced as well as the latency spikes.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

all I am going to say is, according to your graph your Comcast gateway is this ip,  192.168.0.1 and yes it will have a wan gateway ip also, ping that with PingPlotter  and you won't see the massive spikes etc to your gateway, that being said I have no doubt your experienceing those symptoms you described

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

4 years ago

@verywhitenoise wrote:

This is a ping *to the comcast gateway* 

FWIW, I have been following this thread and there may be some confusion with the terms being used / interpreted here. For clarity's sake. When you stated the above quote, did you mean the actual Comcast supplied gateway device / appliance itself at your home, the public IP address that is assigned to it, or the remote Comcast WAN / default gateway router that is located at the headend facility / CMTS ?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

verywhitenoise, i was able to dupicate what you are talking about, so have 2 computers both about from 2011, both top of the line at the time. both have 32 gigs of ram and fast proccessors, tho one is faster then the other one, but both are very fast,  one is windows 10 and one is linux, so i have them both connected to my Xb7. both streaming music set at the highest bitrate, one is  on wifi one is connected to a to gateway with a ethernet card, tho i did try them both connected to wifi, both steaming music, i was doing speed tests on both at the same time, these are some results i got,

the first test was horrible results, 11% packet loss, pings as high as 5500+. yet i couldn't get my system to hiccup, the download speed was 677 on wifi, i never get the high, tho i am not complaining, if you notice the test reports 11ms latency. and this was on the slower computer, on the windows 10 computer i have pingplotter installed, this is the faster computer, i could only get 1800ms latency, with 6% packet loss, yet the music never hiccuped at all, all this stress on my connection no problem, i don't know what devices you have, i am thinking it could be a hardware issue or maybe a setting of some sort, from my tests the ping and traceroute tests didn't accurately access my thru connection

Email me when someone replies

View discussion in a popup

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

@EG This is a ping to the comcast gateway at the headend provided by comcast DHCP - not my local router, which (you are correct) is a gateway but more commonly referred to as a router in a home sense.

I have completely bypassed my router for testing as well, connecting my PC directly to the modem and pinging the comcast gateway (which is now 73.25.54.1). If you'll notice, a few of my graphs do indeed show my local router in play (192.168.0.1) but with 0% pl and sub 3ms latency. 

This thread is getting out of hand with less than helpful suggestions (though I do appreciate the effort). The fact of the matter is still the same:

I experience HIGH PACKET LOSS and VERY HIGH LATENCY even when DIRECTLY CONNECTED to the Modem. These events are not continous, but when they happen it is brutal and my conneciton becomes useless from anywhere from 10min to 1 hour at a time. It is hard to capture this directly as it is transient and in order to eliminate all my devices I must disconnect my router, directly attach my PC and then reboot the cable modem to initiate another DHCP request to comcast.

Once again, I have had 2 technicians come by, CONFIRM the problems and say (after replacing the entire run from the pole to my modem) that it is NOT an issue with my local gear. I have used MULTIPLE computers, DIRECTLY connected and two modems (one of which is brand new), all of which exhibit these problems periodically but DAILY.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

4 years ago

Well sorry if you think some of the suggestions were less then helpful, I got some of the info directly from the PingPlotter website,

What about that 11% packet loss at hop 15?", you ask. Judging from the numbers for that hop and hop 16, what we're most likely dealing with here is a router that probably has a low priority for ICMP packets. A lot of network admins will set a router up to drop ping/ICMP packets first if it starts getting busy, good luck finding a solution 

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Hey @verywhitenoise , experiencing EXACT same issue here and Comcast being totally unhelpful.

Have you found any solutions to this/Comcast ever came to your help? Assuming not because I've had this for several months and it has not been fixed.

Best solution at this point might just be to switch service... lol

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here