RogerSC's profile

Contributor

• 

138 Messages

Monday, June 3rd, 2024 1:19 AM

Problems with XB3 in bridge mode on NOW Internet

I really want NOW Internet to work for me. I've just apparently downed the second XB3 that I've had. What happens is that I configure them for "bridge mode" so that I can use my router. That works nicely, but if anything happens, my router no longer gets internet and I can't get the XB3's back into working bridge mode. The first time around, Xfinity replaced our underground line to the pole due to noise. That somehow caused me to lose internet to my router. Note that I did verify that the new line is good by checking to be sure that the XB3 was working in router mode, which it was.

I tried the usual things  one does to get that one working again, rebooting it and and my router, letting the XB3 "rest" for about 5 minutes with power disconnected and then powering up both the XB3 and the router again. When none of that worked, I factory reset the XB3 using the "reset button", holding it in for about 30 seconds. Then reconfigured it into bridge mode, and powered it down after it came back up. I again brought up both the XB3 and the router, and no dice, the router wasn't happy, no internet. However, the router has been working all along with my "other" internet, the one that costs more that I hope to stop using. I tried a few repetitions of this, factory resets and reconfiguring, and powering up the XB3 and my router, nope

Same story with the second XB3, this time the internet to my router was interrupted by Xfinity telling me to activate the XB3. I had made the major mistake of bringing the XB3 up, into bridge mode, and getting my internet going on my router before I activated the XB3. Not sure why that worked, in retrospect, but it did, and worked well. So I scanned the code on the XB3, and Xfinity activated the XB3 (they said). After that was finished the XB3 rebooted, and voila, no internet to my router. So I went through the whole song and dance again with factory resets, resting, reboots, a few times, no luck again. This time around I even tried the factory reset that's under "Troubleshooting" in the web admin interface for the XB3, and again, of course, the XB3 didn't work right after that, either.

Are these XB3's re-usable? Or are you supposed to throw them out after a single use? I've never encountered such fragile hardware before. How in the world do you get them to work a subsequent time if doing all the usual things that one does with this sort of hardware don't help. Is there a secret that I'm not in on? I'm going to get a new XB3 on Monday, hopefully it won't be another single-use piece of hardware. If it is, I guess that NOW Internet isn't for me, and I'll go back to AT&T fiber that I've had no trouble with in the last 6 years. Been using my own router for years and years, long before being on AT&T fiber as well...I'm what you'd call "experienced" *smile*.

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

138 Messages

4 months ago

FINALLY got this going. Not sure what happened, but I went into Xfinity Store this afternoon to get the next XB3. That I'm supposed to be able to get at the Xfinity Store according to NOW Internet fine print. Well, of course, they didn't have any for us lowly prepaid NOW Internet users. They had new ones that they'd gladly give to their more lucrative customers, but nothing for us lowly prepaids. They told me to get on the Xfinity app (do another 2 hour session there), and after they decide that my XB3 isn't working, then they'll ship me another one. Meanwhile, I'd be off the internet for a couple of days, if NOW Internet was my only source.

Anyways, home I go, thinking about how this was such a typical Xfinity interaction for me. Getting my expectations raised by marketing prose, and then them not having, or not doing, what they said that they'd have. So when I got home, did yet another nice long factory reset on the XB3 that had stopped working in bridge mode, and let it sit for a while. Then powered it up and switched it to bridge mode. Powered the XB3 and my router down, let them sit a bit, and powered them both back up. No internet on my router. Okay, so much for NOW Internet. But I tried "one last thing" before giving up, power-cycled the XB3 without power-cycling my router. Somehow, that worked, don't have a clue why, and NOW Internet is back up. For how long, I don't know. The XB3 is on a UPS, and we have whole house solar battery backup as well. So my hope is that no one breathes on it or bumps it, because getting it going again is such a painful process.

On the upside, I have internet. On the downside, don't know if I'm going to stay with it because of the pain it's been to get going and keep going. We'll see, the hardware is definitely not confidence inspiring. When just about everything in your house needs the internet, such fragility is not good for peace of mind.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

889 Messages

4 months ago

@RogerSC Thank you for creating a public post! I am glad to hear that you were able to get it to work. As NOW Internet is a pretty new product, we are still figuring out all of the quirks of the service. It is good to know that Bridge Mode is working as it is not officially endorsed with the product. Please, keep us updated as you go. We'd love to hear more about your experience!

Contributor

• 

138 Messages

@XfinityTony​ Hmmm...thought that bridge mode was part of NOW Internet, since it's very visible in the XB3 web admin interface. If bridge mode hadn't been there and worked, I wouldn't be using NOW Internet. It would not be acceptable to me to have to use an XB3 as a router.

By the way, when are refurb XB3's going to be available at the Xfinity Store, as the information about NOW Internet says that they will? I have a couple of spare XB3's from previous attempts to get this going that I'd be happy to turn in and which you guys could re-refurbish and stock in your stores. But you ask customers to recycle idle XB3's, which seems really wasteful to me. They could be reused by other customers once they have been refurbished again and "certified" working.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

772 Messages

RogerSC Thank you for sharing the details and for your proactive efforts. Where these XB3's replaced when the software no longer worked? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here