U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 6th, 2021 12:25 AM

Closed

Prepaid Cable Modem

I already have Fiber internet from other internet provider and just open Xfinity Prepaid account as secondary option to use when primary fails.  I own an advanced ASUS router that supports dual WAN and can switch automatically if one of the WAN connection fails.  I have setup several rules and policies on ASUS router to meet my needs.  Obviously, I am not interested to use WiFi feature of Xfinity Prepaid cable modem.

The speed of Xfinity Prepaid service is same as advertised but I have problem with Xfinity Prepaid policy to use specific cable modem that comes with Prepaid kit.  I want to use another cable modem that is compatible and used with Xfinity postpaid service in the past.  The Arris TG1682P cable modem that comes with Prepaid kit has following issues that cannot be avoided.

1. It keeps broadcasting radio signals of 2G and 5G bands, even when I disable both bands from its console.  It just makes APN name invisible.  I do not want unnecessary radiation in the house.

2. It is huge in size and generates lot of heat that is not good for other devices that I keep in special area in the house to protect them from kids.

3. It was found buggy when used in "Bridge" mode.  My ASUS router gets WAN IP from cable modem only when this cable modem is power recycled.

Kindly allow me to use my own modem that worked in past without above issues.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

3 years ago

Hello @user_b07582, thank you so much for sharing your feedback on your experience with our Xfinity Prepaid service. At this time, Xfinity Prepaid Internet service can only be accessed through the Wireless Gateway included in your Starter Kit. The Xfinity Wireless Gateway included in the Prepaid Instant TV kit can still be used if you subscribe to Xfinity non-Prepaid Internet service by contacting Comcast, but we don't currently have a way to set up Prepaid service without the use of our modem. Your feedback is important to us, and we greatly appreciate you going into such detail on how you are feeling. We'll ensure your feedback is forwarded to the correct teams for review. 

If you do have any troubleshooting or billing concerns you would like to address, we do recommend that you give our Prepaid support team a call at 1-855-75-PREPAID (1-855-757-7372). They are all experts in what they do and could assist with sending out a new modem to you if your current one is not functioning properly for you. 

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

3 years ago

I recently purchased an Xfinity  modem online and tried to get it set up while talking to a tech and I am under a contract and do not use prepaid . He told me this was a prepaid modem and he can not set it up under my contract then quickly put me back on my rented modem so after reading what ComcastKatieMS  just told  this user I am wondering why I could not use this modem on my contract account or at least he could have put me in touch with someone that could help me use this prepaid modem on my account ?

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

If your only using it for backup, I would leave it unplugged until needed….

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here