U

Friday, June 21st, 2024 5:50 PM

Port Forwarding

Hello,

I'm trying to port forward from a server inside my network and I use the XFinity app (wish there was a way to do it from the gateway) to create the "rule", and unfortunately, the port is never open. I verify this by using the tool nmap to scan my IP and it shows the port as "filtered". I can confirm that open ports are "open" status because turning on remote management on the gateway (temporarily) makes the port for remote management display as "open". I don't understand why I cannot forward ports from the gateway, and I've been trying this for about 4 months now off and on and I've always been met with this same issue. Are there settings (that aren't listed in instructions) that I should change or configure? What should I do?

Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

4 months ago

If you are unable to forward ports from the gateway using the Xfinity app, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure that the Advanced Security feature is disabled, as it may block traffic from open ports. If that doesn't work, you can try enabling the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) feature for the specific device you want to forward ports to. This will open all ports for that device, so be cautious about potential security risks. Additionally, you can check if there are any MAC randomization features enabled on the device, as this may cause port forward rules to break. Please give this a try and let us know if you have an issue. 

4 Messages

Hello, I have tried all of these before and have spent lots of time tinkering with the devices and the app to get it to work, no luck whatsoever.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

user_g0ce4h Thank you for letting us know, there would only be a few reasons a port forwarding rule would not work.  

First, the port may be blocked from use by use for security reasons. Ensure the port is not blocked. That can be checked here. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-blocked-ports
If the port forward is already associated with a device on the network it will not let you use that same rule for an additional device.
If the port forward rule is created but is no longer associated with a device on the network it will not work as well and you would need to select a device for the rule. 

If the device you are trying to set the rules up for is not shown let us know.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

It's not blocked on there. I've tried the presets, like Minecraft, still doesn't allow traffic. Is it possible something on your guys' side might be blocking port forwarding from an IP? I've tried everything short of buying my own equipment.

The other conditions above are checked, and not the issue.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

user_g0ce4h Great question and more than likely not, the only ports we actively block are provided on that linked page above. If it is not listed there you should not have any issues for us other than the settings we have already been discussing. Have you by chance checked to see if your IP address is not set to static? You can check that in your admin tool page (10.0.0.1) If it is, the static IP should be removed, the Xfinity app will use the IP address from DHCP to set a static MAC bind and establish the port forward rule. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

Devices aren't using static IPs. I tried creating a forward of "minecraft" from a laptop with a confirmed DHCP IP, and it's still filtered, not open on a nmap scan.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here