sirhcb's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Port forwarding with Arris Surfboard Modem

I'm using my own Arris Surfboard Modem rather than a leased box from xfinity.  I'm attempting to setup Port Forwarding but when I go to this option in the advanced menu on my router I see a message that says:

"Managed devices and Port Forwarding pages are moved to cloud.

Please use the following link to access cloud portal: internet.xfinity.com"

Of course, if I go to that link I get a message saying that I need to upgrade my equipment in order to use this service.  Is xfinity blocking any attempt to setup port forwarding with 3rd party modems?  Seems shady to me. 😞

I have found some link/pages that seem to indicate that why they want most users to use the xFi cloud service, the old way is still available for "advanced" users (see this link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway) , but this is decidedly NOT an option on my router.  I do NOT have a spot to enable port forwarding.  I have an option to enable port triggering, but NOT port forwarding.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

You can't use xFi to set up port forwarding on a non-Comcast device, you have to follow the directions supplied by the device manufacturer. If you can't find them, post the device model number and we'll try to help.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

The modem is  Arris Surfboard SVG2482AC.

This is essentially the same modem/router that Xfinity used to use, just not Xfinity branded.  The problem is that the area where I would do port forwarding has the message I posted above:

"Managed devices and Port Forwarding pages are moved to cloud.

Please use the following link to access cloud portal: internet.xfinity.com"

1 Attachment

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

@sirhcb wrote: The modem is  Arris Surfboard SVG2482AC. ...

This appears to be one of the oddball devices which Arris makes exclusively for Comcast but, AFAIK, since it is not Comcast-branded, cannot be used with xFi. You'd have to place it in Bridge Mode and add a router, or replace the device with something different.

Have you tried asking Arris customer service about this?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Yes, I confirm I am having the exact same problem with the exact same modem.

It seems a mistake on Comcast's part to give us no method of port forwarding.

Have you found a way to fix this or told customer service directly?

There's a good chance that they can simply enable xFi for our modems since

they are nearly identical to their Docsis 3.0 modem rentals...but this could

take months based on my experience with Comcast 😞  It usually takes one month

just to get an issue elevated to a real software person 😞

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here