U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 21st, 2023 5:08 AM

Closed

Port forwarding with Arris G36 not working

I have my home network based on the TP-LINK router doing port forwarding just fine. Then I received a suggestion from Xfinity to upgrade my modem to get maximum download speed. They recommended the Arris G36 gateway, and I got one to replace my old modem and router. I configured my new gateway for the same port forwarding schedule. Now my network has access to the Internet but port forwarding does not work well. I used an online ports checker and found out that standard ports like 80, 443, 21, 3389, etc. are open. Although other configured ports like SQL ports are closed. Someone told me that Xfinity may need some additional port forwarding done to open those ports. Xfinity suggested using the Xfinity app to do that. I followed the instructions published on the Xfinity site to do that but ran into a problem. The app's Connect screen does not have a network section with Advanced settings. It shows this:

I'm puzzled. Did anyone encounter this problem and find a solution? I spent almost an hour talking to Xfinity technical support but they could not find any better than promising to email me some instructions, which appeared to give just a link to their standard instruction to configure port forwarding in their branded gateway. I'm stuck...

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Estoy pasando por la misma situación con mi Arris G36 ya tengo 3 Semanas hablando con soporte de Xfinity y soporte de Arris y es como si ningunos de ellos supieran lo que esta pasando el equipo funciona correctamente solo en modo puente pero si tratas de ponerlo como módem y router solo podrás acceder a ciertas paginas estoy seguro que esto es un error de Xfinity ya que prove un Arris G34 y funciona correctamente Al perecer Xfinity necesita Abrir los puertos para el Arris G36  

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_15b664​ Thank you for your feedback. I decided to drop the idea of upgrading my gateway to the G36 and return to my old Arris SB6120 modem and TP-Link A5 router. They have been working fine for years. But guess what! When I reactivated my old modem with Efinity and restored the system, the old scheme of port forwarding refused to work. Based on all those facts I deduced the following. When I activated my new G36 unit with Xfinity, they enabled some sort of a firewall that blocks all ports except those that are commonly used like 21, 80, 443, and 3389. I use other ports, which got blocked. When I downgraded to my old modem, this firewall remained active, so my old port forwarding scheme stopped working for uncommon ports. I believe Xfinity really hurt their customers by doing that even though their original intention was good. Lack of professionalism...

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I am going through the same situation with my Arris G36 and I have been talking to Xfinity support and Arris support for 3 weeks and it is as if none of them know what is happening the equipment works correctly only in bridge mode but if you try to put it as a modem and router you will only be able to access certain pages I am sure this is an Xfinity error since I tested an Arris G34 and it works correctly Apparently Xfinity needs to Open the ports for the Arris G36

Contributor

• 

242 Messages

Hello, @user_15b664. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.
•  Make sure you are signed in here in the Xfinity Forum. Click "Sign In" if necessary 
•  Click the "Direct Message" icon (square chat icon in the upper right corner of your screen next to the bell icon) 
•  Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon 
•  Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line 
•  Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
•  Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here