U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, January 6th, 2023 3:08 AM

Closed

Port Forwarding on xFi gateway WITHOUT smartphone/tablet

Hi all.

I'm using an xFi wireless gateway (DPC3941T) and do not have a smartphone or tablet. If I understand this article correctly, they've disabled creating port forwarding rules via the admin interface (10.0.0.1) for my gateway model, and want me to use their mobile app. Can I request to rent/buy a device that's compatible with creating port forwarding rules via the admin interface instead of renting my current xFi gateway? If so which available device(s) are compatible? Can I bring my own device from an approved list of gateways? If so, where can I find this list of approved devices?

Worst case scenario, I'll have to invite a friend over and ask to borrow their smart phone. If it comes to that, I'm going to try and reverse engineer the mobile app. I figure it's probably just hitting some backend service. I might be able to capture my credentials and hit it myself. Does anyone have any insight into the traffic the mobile app sends out while creating port forwarding rules?

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Probably your best bet is to just install BlueStacks and install the Xfinity app in that. It's unfortunately they only allow administering port forwards via mobile app, but it is what it is.

I'd say running your own gear is always best, but if you want uncapped data then you have to use their gateway, unfortunately. A compromise you can do is to set their gateway to bridged mode, then use your own router.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

... if you want uncapped data then you have to use their gateway ...

That isn't quite correct. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/exp-unlimited-data says:

... there are two ways you can get unlimited data from Xfinity. ...

Option 1: You can purchase the Unlimited Data Option. ...  [$30/mo]

Option 2: Customers who lease an xFi Gateway can add xFi Complete, which includes unlimited internet data. ...  [$20 or $25/mo]

Prices from https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/xfi-complete.

Also, the 1.2 TB "data plan" is not in effect and Unlimited is not needed in their "Northeast markets" (CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, VA, VT, WV, the District of Columbia, and parts of NC and OH).

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@BruceW​ Appreciate putting the extra details out there. I'm on a two year promo for free xFI Complete. 1.2 Gbps uncapped @ $50 is hard to touch, and I'm too cheap to pay for my own modem that would handle the 1.2 Gbps speed.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

+1 vote for own equipment.

They say adding unlimited is $30-35 depending on your market.  I don't know the cost of xFi packages, but you're shelling out $14/month for the gateway rental one way or another.  Lots of reports on the website not working to add unlimited on a 3rd party device, so you probably have to listen to the 'hard upsell blathering' with customer service to get it done.

The remote administration with a phone app (the least secure device you own) fails a security audit, and it's a horrid idea in the first place. Probably don't need unlimited in the first place either, if you manage data use by throttling your own devices if streaming is doing it, or fixing problems that are causing it.  Personally, I'd be concerned if I'm burning 1.2T of data, and have no idea of how it happened and couldn't see what did it and when.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@flatlander3​ 100%. Saw a post with a rep asking if it's okay to view their devices. Something about allowing a company that level of insight into my network just doesn't sit right. It used to be that renting their gear just meant using their gear instead of your own, now it means opening the door to your home for them.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for your help guys.

I've decided to buy my own gateway. I'll look around these forums as I'm sure there are several recommendations to be found. I'll ask for recommendations here though anyway, if you have one you'd really like to shill. In the meantime, I'm going to try and run the mobile app in some sort of android container or vm.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@utzchips​ Make sure you're using correct terms. In the Comcast sense gateway generally means integrated modem and wireless router.

I would definitely recommend not getting a combo unit if you're buying your own hardware. Motorola and Arris both make fairly solid modems.

You'll want to consider future-proofing too, as both Arris and Motorola make modems that can handle the 1.2 Gbps speeds offered in some Comcast markets. To get your wireless router to utilize speeds above 1 Gbps you will need to make sure you get a modem that can either do link aggregation of two 1 Gbps ports, or get a modem with a 2.5 Gbps port.

You will then want to pair a wireless router that supports link aggregation or has a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port.

I would further recommend breaking out your router and wireless access point(s) to separate devices. Folks have started not recommending Ubiquiti as much, but I find their gear to still be pretty good bang for the buck.

Looking at wireless you will also want to consider Wi-Fi 6E devices, that allow you access to spectrum with much larger bandwidth, and far less congestion, to best be able to see Comcast's 1.2 Gbps speeds (when they become available in your market, if they already aren't)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@AviationAtom​ Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me, and for the head start on where to look.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here