U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 2nd, 2022 8:49 PM

Closed

Port Forwarding Not Working STILL

Up until recently, the Port Forwarding option has entirely not worked on both the website and the Xfinity App, saying "An error has occurred" and making the option entirely inaccessible. I checked yesterday(August 1st, 2022), and it seemed that that issue was fixed(after months of it being inaccessible), but as I went to attempt to open a port forwarding system that I need for multiple games that I play, it STILL throws up an error after attempting to set up the necessary port forwarding. It's been almost six months of Port Forwarding being an issue with your service, at this point I believe everyone using your service deserves a refund due to the amount of time said service hasn't been fully accessible. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

They're going on 3 generations of hardware, using the same backend server/app interface that apparently isn't available all the time, or that corrupts the gateway config to the point where the next option is replacement.

They'll say here: Have someone else's problem (perhaps refurbished, perhaps not).  We'll ship it to you....is their solution. Perhaps it also provides an opportunity to up-sell services, so the time and expense is worth more than actually fixing the problem.  You might even think "SuperSonic" is an engineering term, and that for some reason it's faster than any other DOCSIS 3.1 modem, and that perhaps they can even actually deliver the speed to your location using the infrastructure that is in your area (That's a BIG IF). 

Any other product manager would be raising hell and suing the company that manufactured it.  They surely wouldn't double down and buy another bug ridden generation of hardware from them.

Bridging a customer owned cable modem and pointing it at a firewall that can split your networks is the way to go.  Then you isolate your exposed ports/gamer system from the rest of your equipment.  You're going to want that system on an Ethernet port anyway.  Do your own WiFi for everything else (access points/mesh/whatever).  Then you configure everything locally, have 'pretty good' security, and you'll never have the problem again.

Advice is cheap.  Cheaper than $14/month too.

Xfinity might not think that's fair, but it's the truth. 

Contributor

• 

342 Messages

2 years ago

Hello @user_c29815  Thank you for reaching out to us through our Xfinity Forum. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having with port forwarding. Can you please check out this link https://comca.st/3dcl7yA to make sure everything is correct?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityStephanieT​ I have tried every single possible solution on your website, I have checked every connection, I have restarted the router a dozen times over. The APP DOES NOT WORK FOR PORT FORWARDING and the service you "claim" to provide is inefficient. Your program is ineffective. You need to fix your program before trying to link people to a "tutorial" that only is useful if YOUR program actually works the way you say it does. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for letting me know. I would like to double-check a few things, and see if we can figure out why it hasn't been working for you.

If you could send our team a private message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live session.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

If you're still having problems, have you looked at this post?

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/port-forwarding-stopped-working-seemingly-out-of-nowhere/604cc2a1c5375f08cdbf1739

This may give you the answer you need.  In a nutshell, make sure your DHCP pool includes, yes includes, the addresses of the devices you are forwarding to.  I used to leave the first 30 addresses of a subnet out of the DHCP pool to use for static addresses for either port forwarding or just to put devices so I knew where to connect to them.  Comcast Business and Xfinity modems broke this ability over a year ago with some firmware update and it took forever to figure out first, why I couldn't create or edit new port forwards and then, why all outside traffic was totally blocked into those ports.  Weirdly, I could still connect with IPv6, but I still don't understand how that works.

So check out the link.  It also refers to another post.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Port forwarding remains seriously broken. Has been for over a year. Pathetic.  I have spent 5 hours with 5 different Xfinity tech support people over the last 2 days and still no joy. The current problem for me (and, yes, there have been others in the past) is that I cannot DELETE ports forwarded previously, configured on devices no longer on my LAN. From my computer, I log in to my gateway (192.168.1.1) and select Port Forwarding. It says I must go to an Xfinity web site to configure port forwarding. So I go there and it says I can't configure the ports from my computer...I have to download an app to my phone to do that. I guess Comcast assumes everyone has a phone. How are folks that do not have a smart phone supposed to configure their modem? Anyway, I have a phone, so I download the app and follow the instructions, but the app does not work correctly for devices no longer on the LAN. The app will not allow any of the forwarded ports to be deleted or edited. So it is impossible to use these ports on equipment that is on my LAN today. The Xfinity article describing the process has a screen shot showing DELETE buttons for devices no longer on the LAN, but in the real world, the DELETE button is not there on my phone. Only an EDIT button...which does not work for devices no longer on the LAN. Totally [EDITED: Language].

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

567 Messages

We'd love to further investigate this issue together. Would you be willing to send us a private message with your full name and address?

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign in" if necessary

-Click the "Direct Message" icon (square chat icon in the upper right corner of your screen next to the bell icon)

-Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

-Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list that appears, and the "Xfinity Support" graphic will replace the "To:" line

-Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

-Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityJoshuaE​ The direct message icon does not appear on my account. I would like to set up port forwarding on my computer, but on the app, it only forwards the port for my general IP, and when I look up if my personal IP is forwarding, it is not. I would like to use port 25565. This issue only seems to plague me because I am using the router/modem that I rent through Xfinity. No one that I know has this issue if they are using their own router. I'm not sure why this is even an issue to begin with, and I am worried about how little information is being shared with the public on this issue. Please help!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@Beppip - We can help! Could you please send our team a message with your full name and full address? We can definitely take a further look at this issue.
To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityThomasA​ By the way, when I tried to send you a direct message (since I have the same concern about port forwarding as the original poster), your username doesn't even exist as an option for a person to send a message.

Official Employee

• 

232 Messages

Hello there. Thank you so much for reaching out to us about your port forwarding issues. It looks like one of my colleagues shared a link to help with making that change on your modem. Did this help?

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Apparently the port forwarding isn't even enabled on our equipment (which, by the way comes directly from Xfinity).  The router doesn't even have the setting available, it just reads:

"Managing your home network settings is now easier than ever.
Visit xfinity.com/myxfi to set up port forwards, among many other features and settings."

And then gives a link to an Xfinity page that doesn't even exist!!

Guess I'll have to just get a router that actually works and hook it up.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here