U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, July 13th, 2021 11:02 PM

Closed

port forwarding issues

i got a new router (not sure of the model but i can find out if needed) and port forwarding isn't working. it now wants me to go through the xfi website but with advanced security off and no static ips being used, it won't actually forward the ports even though it says they are forwarded. i also tried using the mobile app to set up the ports since i heard that can help sometimes but to no avail. what else should i try?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

You can add static ips with a simple edit, in the admin gateway panel, edit the dhcp server ip range, it probably starts with 10.0.0.2 this for the Xb7, if you want 50 static Ips, edit it too 10.0.0.52 without this simple edit no static ips can be set, reserved ips  can be set tho

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

Try it, I don’t really know, also check your firewall settings, I would disable the firewall until you have it all working and setup, just a thought

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

that was one of the first things i tried actually, i guess i just forgot to mention it. 

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

i just discovered this,

Can you use UPnP and port forwarding?
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a network protocol that allows compliant devices to automatically set port forwarding rules for themselves. These devices can be personal computers, printers, security cameras, game consoles or mobile devices that communicate with each other and share data over your network.  I had this enabled already, maybe why i have had no issues  It can be enabled in the Xb7 admin panel

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

i already had this enabled, didn't even know about it

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

FWIW. Here is an article about the potential security risks associated with using the UPnP feature;

https://www.howtogeek.com/122487/htg-explains-is-upnp-a-security-risk/ 

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

@EG I just discovered this today, it was enabled on my Xb7 gateway, I see the pitfalls using it, but I am curious if this setting is why I have absolutely no issues with the Xb7? Everything just works, printers were a breeze to setup, everything I have attempted you use just worked, also with the pitfalls, I am kinda on the fence about it, Comcast provides this option on the Xb7, if it was that risky, I would think that they wouldn’t offer it, I don’t know much it, but I am wondering if you turned it on to setup up all your devices etc, it seems to configure devices for you, then turn it off once everything is configured and working properly, I was told many years ago, by a very experienced Unix guy, that the only secure computer is one that is unplugged from the power source 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here