U

Tuesday, August 29th, 2023 1:05 PM

Closed

Port forwarding in place but still blocked

I am trying to setup some port forwarding to allow my PS5 to be accessible remotely from outside my network.  Following this guide (which has confirmed working in the comments for Steamdecks and other handheld gaming devices ) https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wnmyxq/how_to_use_ps5_outside_your_network_with_chiaki/ When I setup the port forwarding via the app using the ports recommended, it doesn't work. When I check the firewall logs its still blocked despite my gateway security being set to low. I'm obviously not going to disable it all together.  I have turned off advanced security and unplugged the router and let it sit and plugged it back in.   I dug into a few forums and found this to be a larger issue with no clear "fix" but with alot of work arounds.  while the Xfinity app says they are in place  https://www.ipfingerprints.com/portscan.php Says they are still closed. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

First thing I'd try is a utility like nmap from another machine connected to the local network and see if the port is actually open on the target device, and verify a service is actually alive and running on it. If that works, try it while connected to your phone's cell network if you have a hot spot feature.

Sometimes the online web based scanners can give mixed results, and when you do a port scan, only scan one port at a time.  Many devices have built in DoS protection and will shut down an offending IP address immediately if you hit a couple of ports fast.  I don't know if Xfinity gear does that or not.

Another thing others have reported is port forwarding NOT working if you set a static IP address on the target machine.  Try leaving the target machine in the DHCP pool, then try to set your port forward with the phone app.  I'm not sure when that config is supposed to get updated locally on your gateway after that.  Maybe you do have to pull the power cord to get it load a config again from the remote side.  Maybe it just "figures it out" eventually.  Your equipment is not ideal for this type of thing.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

1 year ago

Hi @user_35f78a Thanks for reaching out to our team. It gets tricky with ports as a lot of it is past our demarcation as we do not do setup, edit, open or delete ports. I have a self-help link with our information for port forwarding here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway with the steps we have. Did you try the steps by flatlander3?

Have you tried using our website to set it up versus the app?

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

1 year ago

@user_35f78a I read your post and all replies. I did not see the model of modem you are using, bit it sounds like a rented modem/router, If so what model? Are you using any other networking equiptment between the modem and your device?

I have had to configure port forwarding many times, on almost every modem with routing functionality offered by Xfinity, and some privately owned ones. The Xfinity rented models are more difficult to setup than others due to requiring that some settings need to be setup in a web browser and others require the Xfinity App.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here