U

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, May 21st, 2022 11:58 PM

Closed

Port Forwarding - Devices not showing up

This has been discussed before in this forum - and there were claims that it was fixed - but it's happening to me, too.

I want to set up a port forwarding rule to a machine on my internal network. It is a hard-wired machine with a statically assigned address (non DHCP). But this machine does NOT show up as a device in my XFI device list, therefore, I cannot add a port forwarding rule to it.

I have several devices just like it - configured the same way - and sometimes they show up in the software, and sometimes they don't. Right now the device in question is on the network and activley talking to the outside (i.e. through the router) - so it is blearingly obvious that the router can physically communicate with the device. It IS an IPv4 device.

This is not a "question" on my side - THIS IS A BUG IN YOUR SOFTWARE.

And yes, I have tried rebooting my router. But I CANNOT just reboot my router every time I hit a problem like this!!

1. Is there any known work around for this problem?

2. Is there an open report that this is an outstanding bug that effects multiple people? 

3. Ant DECENT port forwarding software would let the user just MANUALLY specify an IP address (not requiring it to show up on the routers list of devices) - it would also let you specify different source and destination ports, while I'm at it.

SO - any help???

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

2 years ago

Hello, and thank you for reaching out about your device not showing up to be able to set up a port forwarding rule. I would like to get a ticket opened as you've performed the recommended troubleshooting steps (we truly appreciate how proactive you've been while trying to get this resolved). Please send us a Direct Message with your first and last name. The message icon is located at the top right of the Community Forum page, clicking on the message icon will allow you to initiate a chat conversation with us directly. Please ensure you are sending your message to our 'Xfinity Support' handle. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityStephanieK​ Who am I supposed to contact? YOu don't list on the IM as a user and the standard customer service one gave no reply

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Did you find any solutions for this issue? I'm currently battling with it myself. All wireless items show up, not a SINGLE hard wired device is in the list.

Contributor

• 

473 Messages

Hi there @wcs39204 Thanks for reaching out here. Were you able to get help with this concern, or did you still need assistance?

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

No - Of course it's still a concern!!

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

REOPENING THIS - BECAUSE IT CHRONICALLY HAPPENS FOR ME AND MANY OTHER USER IS IS NEVER ADDRESSED!!!!!!!!

I go into "Port Forwarding" to add a forwarding rule - and the device I need to add does NOT show up in the list. Despite the fact that it is on and connected, and I'm actively using it - and it has been on for months. This is a BUG. It needs to be FIXED. It happens will ALL KINDS of devices, from laptops, desktops, Raspberry Pis, Virtual Machines, Linux, Windows - it doesn't matter.

FURTHERMORE - It shouldn't even REQUIRE me to select the device - i.e. I SHOULD be able to just specify an IP address in the XFI app and have it work - independent of of the device is up or down or whatever.

And before you ask - YES, I'VE RESTARTED THE [Edited: "Language"] MODEM!!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Not showing Devices/Unable to Port Forward

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

You aren't going to get any resolution on this.  It's the 3rd generation of hardware controlled with a phone app -- the least secure device you own.  I'd call not being able to change a setting, and especially a critical one a sev 1 non-functional bug, and wouldn't have released it from QA on gen 1.  It also points to a larger infrastructure issue that was never addressed.

So in the end, I don't think Xfinity wants to be in the DOCSIS hardware game, and cares very little about it, especially if they make more money with engagement and upselling services, while also avoiding legal issues with a bait and switch by swapping out hardware.  Perhaps it's a better business case, I don't particularly care for it.  One thing they can't or won't do is fix it.  Pages of this problem.

Buy one you can configure WITHOUT a phone app.  Local control only.  Then you'll be able to backup settings/restore them. And more importantly, change them anytime you want.  Be done with it.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@flatlander3​ You have any recommendations on specific hardware? I used to use OpenWRT, etc - but got burned a few times because whenever things DID go wrong - Comcast would always point the finger at my hardware and blame it (even when it was 100% provably obvious that it was not) - but never an argument I could ever win. So I switched to Comcast hardware so they'd never have anyone but themselves to blame. But the obvious problem here is that when it is blatantly obvious that there IS a problem - they simply never respond. Or when they do, they tell me to "try resetting my modem".

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here