Zoder's profile

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2024 2:48 AM

Closed

Polycom VOIP phone not working

My office uses Nextiva VOIP service and each employee has a Polycom VVX450 phone.  I've been using this phone working from home for the past 3 1/2 years without issue.

Sometime between Saturday afternoon and this morning the phone would no longer connect to the internet.  It still receives an IP address from the Xfinity gateway.

After spending the day on the phone with Nextiva support and Xfinity support troubleshooting, I've ruled out the phone and my local network being the issue.

1.  I brought the phone to the office and plugged it in and it works.  I brought another phone home this afternoon along with my original phone and they don't work.  Office uses Comcast Business internet.  I also have coworkers who have Xfinity at home and haven't reported any issues.

2.  I swapped out the gateway this afternoon from XB7 to an XB8 and it had no effect.  Tried turning on port forwarding and dmz to the phone IP but neither helped.

Is there any way to find out if Comcast closed one of more of the ports this weekend that the phone needs to work properly?  Nextiva mentioned that 5060 and 5061 need to be open.

Xfinity phone support doesn't know how to check this or how to get it back open even if they were closed.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

6 months ago

Good evening @Zoder, and thank you for reaching out on our Community Forums. To make sure we provide proper direction may I confirm if you are an XFINITY residential customer or Comcast Business customer?

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityAlyssaA​ Residential

Official Employee

• 

968 Messages

Thanks for confirming, Zoder! We actually post the blocked/closed ports for our service publicly here : https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-blocked-ports 

It does not appear that 5060/5061 are listed, and I see no documentation on our end that they were added. A few things that come to mind in regard to this issue would be perhaps a change occurred in your VPN, as I assume there is one in play if you are working from home. Also, are you using any type of router in conjunction with the XB8? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

Thanks for the response. 

Yeah I didn't see those ports on the list when I checked the other day.  Could ports have been blocked if for any reason the Xfinity network thought there was an attack taking place?  I have X-fi Advanced Security turned off.  Are there other instances outside of Advanced Security where ports outside of those listed can be closed due to security issues?

No other router is being used.  The phone is hardwired directly to the xb8 and my desktop is hardwired to the phone.  Each device is getting it's own IP address from the gateway.  The phone I brought home for testing is getting assigned a third address when I plug it in.

The office did upgrade the firewall last October.  It's a sonicwall TZ 370.  Previously TZ 350.

My desktop uses the Sonicwall VPN client to connect to the office network.

However, the phone doesn't provision through the office and no VPN is involved with the phones.  The provisioning when you power up the phone is all done through Nextiva's servers.  4 of the phones are working from home networks.  Mix of Att Fiber and Xfinity residential.  The ones at the office are on Xfinity business internet.  So they the behind the firewall.  

The issue though is my phone isn't provisioning.  So I can't call out to any number, nor receive calls.  I also can't dial any of the extensions whether it's to the other work from home phones or the ones at the office.  If it was provisioning and the office firewall was blocking my phone's traffic the only issue I would be experiencing is not being able to connect to the office extensions.

It's basically the same service Comcast Business offers.  VoiceEdge® Cloud PBX Phone | Comcast Business  Just with a different provider.  Both are cloud based PBX services.  They even offer the same phone as an option for customers.  One key feature of this type of service is being able to connect the desk phone any place that has an internet connection.

Official Employee

• 

968 Messages

Thank you for those additional details, Zoder.  If there were any additional ports being blocked they would be added to the list. If there was a security issue where they may have been blocked from an individual user, you would have been alerted. If the device provisioning is done via Nextiva, then perhaps there is an issue there. If your device is being assigned an IP then there should be no reason from our end that specifically this device is not able to connect. Have you or your company discussed the issue with Nextiva admin? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

How would I be alerted, by my email address on file?

Yeah I've spent a few hours on the phone with them Monday and Tuesday.

Besides ports possibly being blocked the only issue that stood out to them was the hardcoded Xfinity DNS servers used on the XB8.  The phone is programmed to connect to Google's DNS servers. but is currently using the Xfinity DNS services as assigned by the sb8.

It's been using the Xfinity servers for 3 1/2 years though without issue and at the officer all of the phones are also using the Xfinity DNS servers.

As I mentioned the other day, taking the phone back to the office resolves the problem.  So it's definitely a network issue.  The question is where in the network.  I'm going to take it to a neighbors house this weekend and see if the problem occurs at another house on the same node.  At least that may help narrow down where the problem is occurring.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

6 months ago

This is likely due to SIP ALG being enabled on the modem/router combo.  There are at least 3 ways to fix this.  Finding any xfinity tech that knows this in tier1 support may be impossible as far as I can tell.

Their tier 1 will tell you that they're "Advanced Technical Support".  They are NOT.  Them saying this is rediculous and its insulting to hear it. ugh

example on the XB8-T modem/router combo

1. You could set their modem/router to bridge mode and use your own router.  Then set your router to disable SIP/ALG.
  2. You could access their modem/router menu > firewall settings > set security to LOW  (SIP ALG is a hidden feature that gets turned on automatically under other levels of security)
  3. You could also access advanced security and flag your phone/device as an IP phone.

Official Employee

• 

809 Messages

Zoder Are you still having phone concerns?

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityVictor​ 

Since Friday night when I found the block in the Advanced Security section of the Xfinity app and told it to allow for 1 hour, it has been working.  I did sent the DM as requested to get the questions I asked in that last post answered.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Has this worked for you consistently since the change you made to the Advanced Security setting ?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here