latichever's profile

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

Tuesday, May 16th, 2023 7:26 PM

Closed

Plugging a second router into xfi gateway

My current setup. I have an older Arris modem/router from Xfinity.  Via an ethernet cable, I have an Asus routher plugged into the xfinity modem/router. This gives me four wi-fi networks, a 2.4ghz and 5ghz from the xfinity modem/routher and a 2.4ghsz and 5ghz from the Asus.

I know this practice is frowned upon, but it has worked for me over several years.

Going forward, I plan to upgrade my modem/router to an Xfi gateway. My question is what will happen if I plug my Asus router into an ethernet port on the XFI. Will I still get the two separate networks from the Asus in addition to the networks on the Gateway? Eventually, I will scrap the Asus and go with pods and/or other extenders, but I'm still curious about how plugging in the secondary router to the xfi will work.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

That can be OK, but there can be oddities with broadcast traffic, and if you are running two different subnets (double NAT), things on the gateway WiFi won't be able to see devices plugged into / connected via WiFi on the 2nd router.

You can use the 2nd WiFi router as an access point (check the manual for it).  Forward DHCP requests to the main gateway (sometimes called AP mode), and that solves a double NAT problem if you are doing that -- devices will all communicate.  Perhaps you want them separate.  Up to you.  

Be aware if you need 2.4 and 5G signals, the new gateway is native WiFi 6, so unless you get lucky with an 802.11 n device, it won't see the new gateway.  You can ONLY use pods in native WiFi 6 mode on the new gateway.  They say it's still possible to split signals out on the new gateways, but you'll lose WiFi 6 benefits (speed for devices that can do it, more channels).   You can still use your 2nd router in AP mode if you connect via Ethernet and get the 2.4 and 5G signals on that if you still need them for older devices and 2.4G radios.

Better, might be save yourself $14/month, buy a cheap 3rd party modem, and a mesh network.  Better still is a cheap modem, firewall appliance, then run a mesh network off that if you need better WiFi coverage.  Then you can both control and see all of your traffic in real time if you need to, and split off a secure subnet or two if you want to isolate devices or groups of devices from the rest of your gear. 

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

1 year ago

It sounds like you are wanting to use Bridge Mode on your gateway. Here is our link on how to do that, and what you will be able to do: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here