R

Saturday, November 4th, 2023 2:44 PM

Closed

Please allow assigning a static IP on xFi gateway

I'd like to let some friends join my Minecraft server, but this is pretty much impossible to do when the IP address keeps changing. I did not realize this would happen when switching to xFi and is worse than the setup I had before.

Please offer the ability to have a static IP address for Residential users.

Official Solution

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

8 months ago

You can get one if you switch to a Comcast business account.  They can provision business cable to a residence.  A friend of mine has a business account.  Of course it costs more, but not many ISPs are going to give you a static IP on a residential account these days.

A cheaper option might be to just rent a VM from some cloud provider.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

8 months ago

@RandomEngy 

Would using a DDNS (Dynamic DNS Internet Service) / client be an option for you ? Google for more info.

(edited)

2 Messages

@EG​ This is what I ended up doing. There are a lot of expensive ways to do it and a lot of difficult ways to do it and a lot of ways that don't work. I wrote a post about one way I found that's free and not too hard: https://dev.to/randomengy/dynamic-ipv6-dns-updates-in-windows-with-dynv6-428e

(edited)

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

@RandomEngy 

Glad you got it sorted out !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

8 months ago

Hello, @RandomEngy At the present time zandor60657 is correct that the only way to get a static IP address is through a business account.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here