I

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Jul 27, 2021 4:41 AM

Periodic slow connection/disconnecting. Getting worse.

I am having issues where my typically fast speed service (800mbps down /19mbps up) is losing connection in games, online meetings, and other live or real-time services. Online video watching doesn't seem to suffer because it is has buffered content to service through the connection issue.

The problem used to be a few times a day maybe once a week, to now having easily 20+ interruptions/day (sometimes more). I just recently started logging it with PTRG. I don't really know how to use the application that well, but you can see my log since I installed it earlier today. 

In the attached image you can see the past 2 hours and how it usually is hovering around 200 ping and as low as 134, but will jump to 10k, 20k, or 30k everye once in a while. When that happens all of my up traffic gets really bad, my voice is robot like and breaking up, but I can hear others fine. Usually returns to normal in 10-20 seconds.

So far, I've had 2 chats with support.

1 - They said they saw a static issue on the gateway and "rebuilt" the file.

2 - Next they said they would send some reset signals and asked me to restart the router.

Each chat ends with me having to just "wait and see" because as mentioned, the issue is periodic.

Hopefully the next time I speak with support they will have a good solution for me.

Responses

EG

Expert

• 

89.2K Messages

2 m ago

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer / device that is hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

With this test, we are trying to isolate this from being either a WiFi-only problem or a problem with the general connection to the Comcast system which would of course affect both. It's a good first step of troubleshooting before proceeding any further.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@EG No this applies to all internet traffic. The PC I use the most is directly connected to the gateway. 

EG

Expert

• 

89.2K Messages

@impel

O/k

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
Gambit66

Problem Solver

• 

317 Messages

2 m ago

@impel  Had the same thing and found the coax was loose on the back of the modem. Check all connections, make sure they are tight.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@Gambit66 I tightened everything up.  Still seeing the same issues.  

Finally have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, so hopefully the tech can see the issue. 

New to the Community?

Start Here