U

Monday, August 19th, 2024 12:23 AM

Paying for 1200 mbps……receiving 450 to 550

So here’s a brief synopsis…..lve been experiencing the drop speed since January of 2021 or 2022. On Xbox live my download speed would stay in the 900 mbps. Then in January of that year  and l had severe packet loss and intermittent connection issues while gaming, as this is my primary focus.

I’ve always used my own router and cable modems with no issue. At the time l thought maybe my cable modem had gone past its prime as Comcast said it was no longer compatible but it is a docsis 3.1 which even if it’s unsupported it shouldn’t cause a problem in my opinion. 

so I upgraded to a new cable modem a netgear nighthawk cm205v 3.1. Which Comcast stated it was compatible. Still the same issues.

i complained they sent a tech out. He noticed an error in signal strength from his router. He proceeded to clip the cable from outside change the inside jack. Reconnected everything then still had intermittent issues and a weak signal. Said they would probably have to run a new line.

Which took them forever to do because you can’t actually talk to anyone in the department that schedules these appointments and you’re at the mercy of them reaching out to you. After about three weeks someone came out to run a new line from the box to my jack.

The Connection stabilized and packet loss resolved but my connection speeds of up to 900 mbps after purchasing a new have not returned. When l did speed tests and logged into the router to show the tech the noise, he was like l got you back up and running. I don’t have an answer for the lack of speed as it’s good enough to game and have all of your devices connected. 

i tried upgrading to a new router, a net gear nighthawk gaming router as l’m Running an older linksys wrt 32 x gaming router. Speeds got worse and lm hardwired into my router as l don’t game over WiFi, as l want the best ping possible.

I understand the marketing of “up to 1200 Mbps” and understand that because of the network and times of the day and users online at the same time that l may not receive that speed. But l think it’s fair to expect what l had prior to any issues.

has anyone else had a drop in speed that occurred over the last two years? I fell like they may be throttling my modem or doing something to prevent user owned equipment and want you to rent their equipment each month to get back to that advertised speed of 1200 Mbps.

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

1 month ago

Hi there, User_Bzzz1! I am sorry to hear your connection is running slowly and am glad that you reached out for assistance. We want things working perfectly all the time and completely understand how that would make it difficult to game. Our speed test website is great as it will run a test directly to your modem. From there you can run a further test to your device. Are you seeing the slow speed at the modem as well or just at the Xbox?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here