U

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, November 3rd, 2022 7:38 PM

Closed

Packet Loss

I am experiencing severe packet loss. I've run numerous speed tests (including the one here for Xfinity) and my speed is great. I've restarted my devices numerous times as well as replace my cable modem to take advantage of the higher speed available. But I am still having packet loss across the network...specifically with 2 comcast addresses. Using PingPlotter I am having upwards of a 60% loss on one of these (the other is around 18%). This started a few weeks ago and I'm getting a little frustrated with it. The topic lists my home network, but it has nothing to do with my home network.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Here is an image from PingPlotter with the IPs involved. This is just testing to 1 internet site, but my wife and son have both had issues going to other sites including work and school.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

... still having packet loss across the network...specifically with 2 comcast addresses. ...

Interpreting trace results is tricky. What is reported as "lost" could mean 1) the packet did not reach that hop, or 2) the router at that hop didn't reply, or 3) the reply from that hop didn't make it back to the trace program.

Note that routers are often configured to give low priority to trace packets and higher priority to data packets, so trace results don't always reflect what is happening with data packets. Please see https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14068.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Understood, this corresponds to issues I have been having while playing World of Warships. It is very consistent. Same IPs each time. I used the Line Quality / Ping Test @ DSL Reports and got this

https://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/399475b39a45/3569097?r=135

Problem Solver

• 

519 Messages

Hello @user_fbe1e1 I know it is concerning to experience a drop in your service connection. I would be just as concerned if my services were dropping off too. You are in good hands and I will do all I can to troubleshoot the connection. Can you tell me what type of troubleshooting steps you've completed? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Thank you. I have updated all drivers and restarted all my devices. I have run the speed tests here and at ookla. I'm getting great numbers there, but whereas I used to get a download ping rate in the low 20's...now it is in the 60s. I have run pingplotter and attached the results above. I ran the ping/latency test at DSLreports and  attached them here also. My connection to my cable modem is stable and cables are in good shape. 

I initially noticed this issue while playing world of warships. I would occasionally notice ping spikes (which happens from time to time and usually others with experience this also) and that the frame rate had dropped severely (from 140-50fps down to 60-70fps). I checked my GPU drivers and updated as necessary with no change. I mentioned this to my wife one evening and she mentioned that her connection to work (we are mainly work from home since the pandemic) was having severe lag issues. She uses remote access to do her job on a computer located in Kentucky. My son also chimed in that he was having issues with some of the sites for school and various games/streaming. We recently upgraded our internet service with Xfinity and I took the opportunity to upgrade our cable modem as well to handle the extra speed. The tests show we have access to this, but we are still experiencing lag on various connections. 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

519 Messages

Thanks for all the steps you've completed @user_fbe1e1 . I would like to try a few steps together to see if we can get this resolved.  

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3EqVMu7 

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

See https://comca.st/3KQF8q9r for an example.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Done...rest of this is to fill the 20 character min

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

I'm having a lot of major packet loss recently this week on xfinity. Can not even game on it at the moment.

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

Oh no, @user_fbe1e1

There's nothing worse than when you're gaming and things go all wonky! Have you attempted any troubleshooting thus far? 

Our Internet Troubleshooting Tips might be really useful, if not! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Hello Gina, I actually fixed my issue before the tech came out. The problem was getting so bad that I purchased a few gold plated cable extender connectors and went outside and replaced the old splitter in the junction box with the extender and that seem to have fixed the packet loss issues for me. Haven't had packet loss since. Now I have to figure out a decent way to weatherize the new connection so it doesn't get too wet from rain or condensation buildup. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

They replaced my connectors last Monday when the tech was out. My speed is still the same as before (its great), but the packet loss/ping spikes are still present.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Thanks for this information, are you having any issues when you stream content or with gaming? 

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

Did the techs not suggest anything while they were there? 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Just got a message from Comcast asking me to note that the issue was fixed. It isn't. I still having horrible lag and ping spikes even though my "equipment" tested out at 100 by the local tech. All they care about is my "speed"...I've never had an issue with the speed, it has always been the latency and signal. 

I now have 3 nodes (was just 2, but tonight the test showed a 3rd) that have a packet loss of anywhere from 20% to 60%. This is unacceptable. The other unacceptable thing is that I have no other options for high-speed in my area. So I am screwed. Comcast goes out of their way to thank me for using their service for almost a decade, but they don't care to find and fix the problem.

Now I will get another response asking to DM again...send a signal to my router (it has been tested 4 times now and passed each time). I have sent the IP addresses to them several time and posted images (see above). It just gets ignored. I can lookup the IPs...they are all comcast IPs. I'm just getting very tired of this.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

128 Messages

@user_fbe1e1​ hm. It doesn't look like there's packet loss at the destination. I wonder if, like me, there's something else going on. I only say this, because it seems (tho my issue isn't resolved so we'll see) that my issue actually was snr nearby, not the packet loss at later hops. I'll circle back here if they resolve my issue and it turns out to be snr. If something similar turns out to be your situation, the advice would be to adamantly ask for a maintenance/line tech because they can see more data than the other techs.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Any solutions? I had packet loss a few months ago really bad for about a week...spent hours on the phone with xfinity. Eventually the issue was resolved although I was never told why. Here we are several months later and it is happening again. Had a tech guy out at my house today he coulsn find any issue or fix anything...still packet loss. He thinks it could be the cable from the box on the street that comes down to my house but that doesnt explain why it happened months ago and then started working flawlessly for the last several months. I am almost positive it is either a network issue or hardware issue outside of my home so somewhere between xfinity servers and the box on my street. Im looking into starlink internet options at this point because it is so stressful and time consuming trying to resolve this with comcast and IDK if i can put myself throufh it again.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Argh...had typed a long answer, but wasn't logged in. So it got erased.

Simple answer is no response other than the tech coming out to my house. He replaced connection outside the house, but nothing changed.

Official Employee

• 

455 Messages

@user_fbe1e1 Did the technician say if he ran any test to confirm if any issues were present before he left? Did the technician do anything inside your home? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Nothing inside the house. He did replace a few of the connectors outside the house. But once he did that we came in and checked ping plotter and it still showed the same issues. Of course that was back in the fall.

I just opened PP for the first time this year...and lo and behold no packet loss. I also notice that the path goes through several different IPs now. So the issue has been corrected. I had noticed in the last few days that my frame rate had improved as well as a lack of ping spikes.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here