U

Tuesday, August 27th, 2024 7:09 PM

Packet loss to a specific node 68.86.93.13

Hi,

Like the title says, I get packet loss at hop 6 of my tracert to 192.207.0.1. Is there a specific reason why this is happening? I have posted a picture of my tracert. Please let me know if anyone else is having this issue as well. I am located in Seattle/ Renton Washington.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

20 days ago

... I get packet loss at hop 6 of my tracert to 192.207.0.1 ...

The next hop received all of the trace packets, so the "loss" at the intermediate hop is likely more apparent than real, and probably not significant. Please see https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14068.

Interpreting trace results is tricky. What appears to be "late" or is reported as "lost" could mean 1) the packet did not reach or was delayed in reaching that hop, or 2) the router at that hop didn't reply or was slow to reply, or 3) the reply from that hop didn't make it back or was delayed in making it back to the trace program.

The fact the hop beyond than one you are concerned about received the trace packets indicates that the router at that address is doing its job: forwarding data packets. That means the router's occasional failure to respond to trace packets, while annoying, is most likely not actually slowing down data transfer. If it was we'd see high RTT values and/or packet loss in the next hop.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

3 Messages

Hi Bruce,

I was asking about this packet loss because I frequently have high ping problems. As you can tell from the picture above, my pings reach up to 331ms spikes which I believe is abnormal as I ran this test mid day off peak times. I have tried many ways to combat this including having 5+ techs come to my house to look at everything. During all the tests I run, including the picture I linked above, no one else is on the internet at my home. The other things I have tried to fix this are:

• Upgrading my internet to the 1gbps plan, which did nothing
  • Renting the Xfinity modem and ran it for two week straight. This had the same result
  • Upgraded my router to the Netgear XR500. Helped slightly, but not much
  • Enabled QoS on my router.
  • Upgraded my modem to the Netgear CM1000.
  • Upgraded my ethernet cable. Im always hard wired.
  • Updated all my drivers to my computer to the latest editions.
  • Had 5-10 techs come to my home to check my wiring. I was never the issue.
  • Talked to at least 30 xfinity tech supporters via xfinity chat.

I currently have packet loss at all hops with an average ping of 70ms on all hops to reddit.com

What do you think the issue is? I am assuming it is Xfinity, but I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases before I blamed the company that has a monopoly on my neighborhood!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

18 days ago

...  The other things I have tried to fix this are: ...

Quite a list!

I'm not sure what you mean by "packet loss at all hops with an average ping of 70ms on all hops to reddit.com". Could you describe what you are seeing there? What does a tracert (Windows) or traceroute (everything else) to Reddit look like? Here's mine:

C>tracert -4 reddit.com

Tracing route to reddit.com [151.101.193.140] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms   <1 ms    <1 ms  router1 [192.168.1.1]
   2      8 ms      8 ms      7 ms  96.120.9.181
   3      8 ms      8 ms      8 ms  po-301-1203-rur01.york.pa.pitt.comcast.net [24.124.216.181]
   4      8 ms      7 ms      7 ms  po-2-rur02.york.pa.pitt.comcast.net [96.110.24.214]
   5      9 ms    10 ms      9 ms  be-87-rar01.lancaster.pa.pitt.comcast.net [96.110.25.65]
   6    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  be-34-ar01.mckeesport.pa.pitt.comcast.net [69.139.168.141]
   7    18 ms    18 ms    17 ms  be-31611-cs01.pittsburgh.pa.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.42.161]
   8    18 ms    17 ms    17 ms  be-1111-cr11.pittsburgh.pa.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.38.130]
   9    23 ms    22 ms    30 ms  be-303-cr12.beaumeade.va.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.39.145]
 10    22 ms    22 ms    22 ms  be-1112-cs01.beaumeade.va.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.145]
 11    23 ms    23 ms    22 ms  be-3113-pe13.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.166.210]
 12    22 ms    22 ms    22 ms  50.248.119.246
 13    23 ms    22 ms    22 ms  151.101.193.140

Trace complete.

If you have access to the Comcast/Xfinity equipment your service is connected to, consider buying a cable with factory installed F connectors and, just for testing,  using it to connect directly from that equipment to your modem or gateway. If you can do that and still see the problem, then you've demonstrated that, whatever the problem is, it's up to them to fix it. 

If you can't do that, try connecting as directly as possible to the farthest point you can reach, bypassing all splitters, surge protectors, and amplifiers they may be in the path, as these can cause problems.

And if that's not possible, please post your Internet plan speed and the following information from your modem or gateway (from http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1):

• model number
  • uptime
  • downstream: power levels, SNR (or MER), and error counts for all channels
  • upstream: power levels for all channels
  • complete event log, if available (Be sure to remove or blot out any MAC addresses. Forum security processing considers them "personal information" and may prevent the event log from posting if these are present.)

Copy and pasted text is preferred over images. Be aware that, if you post any images, your message will be made Private for a time, as all images must be approved by the Forum Moderators before the messages containing them become generally visible.

Don't focus so much on packet "loss" at one intermediate hop. Unless the loss carries forward to later hops, it is probably not significant. It often means that the router at that hop was too busy to reply, or perhaps rate-limited to ignore most trace and ping packets.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here