U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 2nd, 2024 8:59 PM

Over the limit on my Internet???

In many years of being with Comcast/Xfinity, I've never even reached my limit of 122 GB. May and June show not even 600 GB, but now suddenly during July, the chart shoots up to more than the 122 GB and I haven't changed my normal online 'behavior'. I'm the only one who used the Internet in this house. What is going on? Can somebody from the outside maybe use or steal my Internet?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Wolf

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

Do you have a strong WiFi password ? Do you see any unfamiliar / unknown devices connected to your network ?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

2 months ago

user_f7d7ea That would be concerning thank you so much for your post for help with this jump in your data usage. It is not common for outside devices to connect to your network unless you leave your network unprotected without the need for a password to log in to your home WIFI. That is not recommended or if you have shared your WIFI information with folks in the past and have not updated your password since. There are a few things you can do to help make sure there are no unwanted devices connected. If you check out our Personalize and control your home network with Xfinity Xfi page you can see how to view all the devices connected to your network and label them so you know what is connected. If you do not recognize a device you can remove it if not currently connected to your network or pause the connection if connected using the steps located there as well. If you do see devices you are not familiar with better safe than sorry to pause and if it is one of your devices you can always unpause it and label it appropriately. I would also recommend changing your WIFI password if you see unfamiliar devices you can check out the options to do that here.

Also, if this is the first time you have gone over you should be fine as we offer one month of overage on us every 12 months.  You can check out information on that on our page here. 

{edited links}

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Thanks for the reply, but when I look at my WiFi on my phone, I see one neighbor's WiFi name, but there's no "Forget" or "Delete", only connect automatically or not. On my PC, I see 2 neighbor's WiFi names, plus 2 "Other networks", and again, no way to Forget or Delete those. This entire WiFi setup is a [Edited: "Language"] setup!

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_f7d7ea, were you able to access our Xfinity xFi to control the devices connected to your network in the link provided above? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here