U

Friday, July 5th, 2024 2:50 AM

Other devices showing in my app

I have over 40 devices paused on my app because deleting them and they come back. I don't think they are logged into my account. Can a tech come to my home and install something to separate  me from others in my complex?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 months ago

Perhaps your neighbors are inadvertently connecting to your network / gateway device via the MoCA feature that's built into it. MoCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) is an alternate hardwired way to connect devices to a home network if ethernet cabling can not be used/run. It uses the existing coax cable wiring instead of ethernet cabling. 

If the MoCA feature is enabled, and you do not have a PoE (Point of Entry) MoCA filter installed on the coax line, yours, and your neighbor's gateway devices will be able to connect with each other like one big network. 

Disable it if you aren't using it. If you are, install a PoE MoCA filter on the input port of the first splitter off of the street drop to keep the MoCA signal in your premises and to keep the neighbor's signals out. Your neighbors should also have PoE filters installed.

To disable MoCA on your device. First, unplug the coax cable line from the jack on the gateway device. Then go to the gateway login http://10.0.0.1    

Default login info is:
Username: admin (all lowercase)
Password: password

Once in you will find the drop-down on the left of the screen that is labeled “Connections”.

Click the drop down---> click MoCA---> right side of screen click “disable”---> save changes.

Bear in mind that we've seen many posts here that the MoCA feature gets turned back on with their overnight re-boots / updates for the device. The best policy is to be sure to use that PoE filter ! Amazon has them: https://www.amazon.com/SNLP-1GCW-Filter-Eliminate-Multi-Room-Interference/dp/B07SLD9QPH     

Or you may be able to get one for free at your local Comcast / Xfinity store. Or book a tech to come out and install one for you.

If the MoCA feature is not being used on your home network, you can put the PoE filter right at the back of your gateway device instead.

(edited)

3 Messages

I'm unable to Then go to the gateway login http://10.0.0.1. So I guess it will require me paying for a tech to come out. Thank you, I  did read about this before, but could not find it when I was looking for it.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_d230f3 We can assist you with making this change, please send us a Direct Message with your full name and address and we'll be happy to help. Here are instructions on how to send us a dM in case you need them:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@user_d230f3​ 

You shouldn't be charged. They are responsible for supplying the filter.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

867 Messages

3 months ago

user_d230f3 Have you tried changing your network name and password? Here is a great link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password that will help you do that. Let us know if this helps with your situation.

3 Messages

@XfinityShawn​ that was the first thing I tried before I researched into issues that people with shared walls have. I went to xfinity stores, but no techs there and they said I would have to pay to have a tech come out and look into the issue I was having on the app.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_d230f3 We would recommend changing your WiFi Password as soon as you can, if your in-home network is protected, your neighbors no matter how close they are cannot use your connection unless they have your password.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here