user_lc8824's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, August 8th, 2024 3:46 PM

Orbi mesh - replacing old netgear combo cable/wifi unit

I impulse purchased NETGEAR - Orbi 850 Series AX6000 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (3-pack) - White because I was really angry at my x-Year-Old NetGear Cable modem and extender (and I need improved coverage on the second floor).

So, I get home and lo-behold, I find/remember that I have a Xfinity coax cable screwed into the back of the old NetGear combo cable modem/wifi unit. The coax cable is one of those split cables, one goes into the cable box for the TV, one goes into a cable modem.

So, friends, am I stuck? there's an ethernet port on the back of the Xfinity cable box. If I connect that port to the Orbi with an ethernet cable, will that work? 

Do I need to buy a cable modem (no wifi) and install it "in between" the coax cable and the Orbi?

If I buy a cable modem, won't that limit the mbs to the orbi and degrade the performance of the Orbi?

what feedback and recommendations might you have, please?

(this is the cable connection set up we've had since, like 1997)

LarryC

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

1 month ago

Hello @user_lc8824, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the modem, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address.

To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 month ago

@user_lc8824 

Can the old Netgear combo unit be put into bridge mode so that it acts only as a straight cable modem ? If so, that's what needs to be done, and then the new main Orbi router gets connected to that with an ethernet cable. If not, you'll need to buy a straight cable modem that is compatible with the speed tier that you are subscribed to and you connect the Orbi main router to it.

(edited)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

1 month ago

Hello all,  My solution: I purchased the CM3000 (no voice) and installed it. I used the Xfinity app to "activate" and it worked well. I downloaded the Orbi app to my phone and connected the main unit with the ethernet cable. My phone and PC picked up the new wifi name. Using the Orbi app, I configured the main unit. That worked pretty well. Once the phone and PC were connected and using the internet, I installed the two Orbi satellites. And Orbi security checker ran. I got the printer and home security system powered on and connected to the new wifi.

Thank you both for the feedback and advice. The speeds, so far are good per the ADT WIFI Fix app.

The cable connection looked ok and I agree that deterioration of the line is inevitable and I need to monitor that.

In gratitude - LJC

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 month ago

@user_lc8824 

Thanks for the update ! Good luck to you !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here